x

Error message for WooCommerce Square Plugin

Is anyone else getting the following error message?

• Error: Square was unable to complete the transaction. Please try again later or use another means of payment.

I've disabled all plugins, reconnected Square a few times in the same browser, and cleared my cache (for no good reason), and I keep getting that error. Dollar amount is $1 and I've used different cards to make it happen. 

Others have gotten this error (as per Google search), but none of their fixes have helped me. 

Any help?

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Partner

Best Answer

Glad to hear you got this resolved.

Just in case anyone else comes across this thread though, I wanted to share some general tips for this type of error.

1.) First, enable logging for the Square plugin. This can be done by going to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments, then click "Manage" beside Square. Once logging is enabled, try making another purchase.

At that point you can review the logs to see what the error is that Square has reported back to your site. You can view your logs by going to WooCommerce > Status > Logs. Make sure when selecting the log on the right-hand side of the page that you select the most recent "WooCommerce-gateway-square" log. Check the logs for to see if there is an explanation from Square as to why the order cannot be processed. Some of these errors are very self-explanatory, such as the currency not matching the currency of your Square account.

2.) Second thing to test is for conflicts by custom, or third-party code. We have a guide on how to test your site for conflicts, which you can find here:
https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-self-service-guide/#section-4

Since these tests will impact the look and functionality of your site, we recommend doing them on a staging site. If you don't already have a staging site set up, check with your hosting company as many offer this as part of their packages. Otherwise, you can use a free plugin such as WP Staging to set one up.

We recommend that everyone have a staging site for their WordPress based site anyways, so this is a good reason to set one up 🙂

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Admin

Hell @shrooki, I'm really sorry for the frustration that this is causing and that you haven't been able to fix this yet. 

I'm looping in @Woo_Phil here from WooCommerce who might be able to share some additional troubleshooting steps to help you resolve this once and for all. 

Keep in mind we're not able to get in to account specifics here in the Seller Community. If you haven't already you can also submit a ticket to the WooCommerce Support team so they can investigate this further.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 17

Helen - 

I'm sorry, I should have posted an update. There was a line of code that was an edit for one of the checkout fields. When I removed it, the plugin started to work like magic. 

Lesson here is - ANY plugin, ANY piece of CSS, ANY piece of PHP that has anything to do with checkout, disable and try again. 

Thank you folks!

Message 3 of 17
Admin

Oh I'm glad to hear that! Thank you very much for the update too — I've marked your reply as the Best Answer. This means sellers who might experience the same issue can read your lesson! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 17
Partner

Best Answer

Glad to hear you got this resolved.

Just in case anyone else comes across this thread though, I wanted to share some general tips for this type of error.

1.) First, enable logging for the Square plugin. This can be done by going to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments, then click "Manage" beside Square. Once logging is enabled, try making another purchase.

At that point you can review the logs to see what the error is that Square has reported back to your site. You can view your logs by going to WooCommerce > Status > Logs. Make sure when selecting the log on the right-hand side of the page that you select the most recent "WooCommerce-gateway-square" log. Check the logs for to see if there is an explanation from Square as to why the order cannot be processed. Some of these errors are very self-explanatory, such as the currency not matching the currency of your Square account.

2.) Second thing to test is for conflicts by custom, or third-party code. We have a guide on how to test your site for conflicts, which you can find here:
https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-self-service-guide/#section-4

Since these tests will impact the look and functionality of your site, we recommend doing them on a staging site. If you don't already have a staging site set up, check with your hosting company as many offer this as part of their packages. Otherwise, you can use a free plugin such as WP Staging to set one up.

We recommend that everyone have a staging site for their WordPress based site anyways, so this is a good reason to set one up 🙂

Message 5 of 17

I just started having the same issue yesterday. I have tried all the things listed on this forum but nothing is working. Is there any other fixes I should try?  Please help, I am at a loss. 

Message 6 of 17
Admin

@shrooki and @STVDesigns 

Were you able to find a solution to this issue that could be shared with @theeccles

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 7 of 17

I had this issue quite a long time ago Isabelle and I cannot recall the outcome. Sorry for being unable to help others. Everything seems to be working properly now for me, thank goodness!

Message 8 of 17
Square Community Moderator

@theeccles have you had a chance to contact WooCommerce yet to see if they have any solutions?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 17
Admin

Thanks @Woo_Phil, this is really helpful. I appreciate it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 10 of 17

Ok, I have done all the diagnostic steps and am still getting a failure.   What do I do next?

In detail, I am getting this failure:

Error: Square was unable to complete the transaction. Please try again later or use another means of payment.

I am using WooCommerce + Square, I updated to PHP 7.2.13.  All plugins and WP are up to date. I made sure i had matching locations.  I disconnected and reconnected Square.  I disabled all plugins but Woo and Square.  I turned off my theme and changed it to a generic theme.  Each time I tried a transaction (sometimes with a valid card, other times with a non-valid card).

with a non valid card, it bounced (as expected) but with a valid card all it does is show the failure error as quoted above.

please what is the next step to diagnose and resolve this situation?

I appreciate all the support of others here - however this has been hours of investment in troubleshooting and it seems others have been able to solve this problem.

Message 11 of 17
Partner

Hi @noreast - You will need to use a valid credit card for all tests, otherwise the card will be rejected as you mentioned.

Based on the steps you've taken, we'll need to have a look at your site to see what the issue may be. Could you please contact our WooCommerce team at > My Account > Tickets. You may need to create an account.  When opening the ticket, please make sure to select the Square plugin. Include a detailed message of the problem as well as a link to this forum post. We will be able to help you further there.

Message 12 of 17

Any resolution to this issue. I am having the same issues.

Message 13 of 17
Admin

Hey @306originals, if you haven't already please submit a ticket to WooCommerce Support directly so they can investigate this for you. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 14 of 17
Partner

@306originals please see the answers and troubleshooting steps that are already listed above in this thread.

Message 15 of 17

I have WooCommerce Square plugin for my website's Ecommerce. I do not know if this is causing my issue where only 9 of 71 products on my site can be purchased. An error occurs saying to try another form of payment. But 9 products can be purchased without incident. 

I have a ticket# with WooCommerce support, but they have not responded to my inquiry as yet for help in resolving this issue.

Anyone who can advise or help me with this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sharon

Message 16 of 17
Admin

@STVDesigns

We've definitely heard there are some syncing issues with WooCommerce and Intenvory syncing right now. Perhaps @Woo_Phil can help us with some insight.

Glad you have an open ticket with WooCommerce already, they do manage this integration.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 17 of 17