x

Video Playback Lagging

I have been having issues with the video playback on my site now for months.  https://www.danielreinhart.com/videography.html I had contacted weebly support and was instructred to compress the file using HandBrake. This does not seem to help either. It is impossible to play on any device or connection. I have tried multiple videos on multiple devices with no luck. I'm starting to think Weebly has all the looks and features people want but none actually function the way they should. Very disapointed. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Square

I played the video on the page you linked and didn't get any lagging or buffering, @mkivr32. This is with my personal MacBook Pro on my home internet connection, so it's nothing extravagent or more powerful than something anyone else would be using. Your video is high quality so I assume that the file size is probably larger; I would guess that the size is large enough that with some connections it might buffer; it can also do that if the computer itself has a lot of browser tabs or applications running, since that would use up a lot of free memory.

Message 10 of 28

I've also started having this issue...and it was previously not a problem - is there anything that can be done about it from the weebly end Adam...like allocating more space etc?

Message 10 of 28

Adam, I have tried again multiple computers/phones and connections. The connection you have must be perfect because it simply will not play completely through without buffering and is almost unplayable on most devices. There has to be something on Weebly's end that is causing this. I'm almost forced to use venmo and try to embed the video that way.

Message 10 of 28
Square

Are we looking at the correct video? I just played the very first one, but I notice you have other videos on that page. It took about 2-3 seconds for the video to load and start playing, but once it did I did not see any interruption. I'm in a different location than Adam and am using wifi on a Mac desktop. Will also check with data on my Android, though. 

Message 10 of 28

Have you had a chance to try while on data? As also mentioned to Adam, I think from the responses you can see this is an issue. Why is it that only people who work for Weebly are the only ones that can get the videos to play? This is an issue and needs to be addressed. 

Thank you,

Dan

Message 10 of 28
Square

Hi. Yes, I tried from mobile and had a difficult time getting the video to play. I have really crappy data speed, though. Smiley Sad Do you experience the issue on multiple browsers? 

Message 10 of 28

I’ve tried on multiple WiFi connections, multiple devices, and even hardwired connections with no luck whatsoever. It’s not even realistic for someone to watch the video. It lags and buffers more then it plays. I’m about two minutes from switching to Wix with the amount of issues I’m having with Weebly. It seems all the issues I have with Weebly stem from a level of cheapness on Weebly’s part. Videos can’t play, photos are compressed so much they are no longer sharp and shipping options are so limited in the “store” you’re forced to loose money if you have more than one size product. It also seems like these “we’re working on it” ideas hardly get addressed as I’m sure this video issue will end up the same way.

Message 10 of 28

Hi Adam,

You must have some great connection because even with a download speed of 52Mbps I still get buffering every 4-5 seconds at a time. I can't complete either video on his website without frequent buffering.

I'm imbedding youtube links to my video and trying out Weebly but if this is a major problem, I might reconsider upgrading my account.

When using Wix I never had any problems with videos.

Message 10 of 28

I have the same problem and was going to contact Weebly.  I tried your video and got the same white rotating circle that I get.  Your screen then turned black after less than 1 minute.  So there is no play.

Message 29 of 28
Square

I saw what you saw for about 10 seconds or so while the video was buffering, @Sunaverse, but once it had buffered enough it started playing. I agree that might look like to visitors like nothing is happening, though if I let it finish that behavior it played ok for me.

Message 29 of 28

Adam, 

I think from the responses you can see this is an issue. Why is it that only people who work for Weebly are the only ones that can get the videos to play? This is an issue and needs to be addressed. 

Thank you,

Dan

Message 29 of 28

I finally just gave up on this feature and had to resort to creating a youtube account and host through there. I can't believe how poorly Weebly's video playback is. Very disappointing for the money you spend for their services. Should have went with Wix 

Message 29 of 28

Hi Adam and Others

What is happening with this? I am having issues with the same thing ie videos keep buffering. Play back quality isn't great relative to playing on my computer. I'm about to launch some online classes and specially upgraded my weebly site so I could host videos. I love the ease with which I can do all this but am so far disappointed with the actual result!

Cheers

Joanne

Message 29 of 28

Not sure what is happening with this...3 weeks and no replies. I gave up and have now gone to Vimeo to host the videos and use weebly to playback - working like magic. Very disappointed in Weebly for this though but glad to have found a solution.

Message 29 of 28
Square

I'm sorry @JoanneD. I must have missed your previous reply. When you experienced the lag did you have multiple videos on one page? 

Message 29 of 28

Still no solution? I see customers gave up. 

Till this day, same problem persists, tryed 3 laptops on 300Mbit point, exactly 50meters from a main fiber, no luck!

just rests one conclusion: Weebly server clusters are stressed and / or paying for descent QoS for vid data streams is kept in the wallet. Thats nice and cheap and definitely will please the guys in suits and ties for max profit, but totaly sucks for our customers who watch the crappy sh*t, this is extremely anoying and renders many websites to carbage. Invest in a solution or I think, after all the anoying crap we experienced last months, I indeed will leave your once so great platform Weebly after using it for more then 6 years.
Yes that will be a hell of a job to realize and really hope its not your strategy to think you will keep your customers anyway for that reason. Hell yeah, they will leave for sure!
"We checked and your website works great" Thats the feedback we get too many times, can asure you it DOESN'T . My faith in your service anyhow is getting byond repairable.

Message 29 of 28

I have also been using weebly for over six years... The video has always lagged to a point where it's unusable. I was hoping they had it worked out, so I tried it again today. Still no luck. Back to uploading to YouTube and embedding.. Really frustrating when I want to post the videos on a private, password protected site- but I have to upload them to Youtube and make them public. Pretty lame.

Message 29 of 28

I find it ridiculous that nobody is getting answers regarding these video issues.
Weebly clearly knows by now that there is a problem. They know that their HD video feature essentially does NOT function outside of the US, yet they continue to sell that as a feature in their plans.

Can we please get a clear no BS answer? Will the videos function problems be fixed or not?

PS: it's 2019. A quick google search will show that people have been complaining about the video function since at least 2016. so for 3 years WEEBLY has essentially been telling us that we're not worth it for you.
I'm quite sure that if there was any interest in fixing this issue your DEV's would have done it within just a couple of months.

Message 29 of 28

I also routinely now host videos on YouTube so that my site videos will play without incessant lagging. For the record, I have never once successfully watched more than 10 seconds of fluid Weebly hosted video on my site. I have a 150mb up and down fibre connection and YouTube plays easily and quickly. Very frustrating.
Message 29 of 28
Square

I'm sorry, @RonPR. That is really frustrating! I believe Youtube has more servers than Weebly, but perhaps it would help to optimize your videos. Have you ever brought this up to support and has an agent ever helped you troubleshoot your videos? 

Message 29 of 28