x

Taxes not being applied correctly

I've noticed that Square isn't adding taxes correctly on the items that need to be taxed. I submitted my quarterly tax return and according to the total taxable receipts, square collected less money than it should have. Per example the taxes should've been $20 but instead, only $17 was collected on my part. How can this be fixed?

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Couple things to looks at.

Under the tax tab make sure all items are added to the tax.

Two, there is a setting  "Add tax to item price" or "add tax in item price"  Select your tax to edit this.

If you have a $10 item and you add 10% tax to the item price you will be collecting $1.00  But if you add tax in the item price you will be collecting $0.91.  this could be where your issue is.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Couple things to looks at.

Under the tax tab make sure all items are added to the tax.

Two, there is a setting  "Add tax to item price" or "add tax in item price"  Select your tax to edit this.

If you have a $10 item and you add 10% tax to the item price you will be collecting $1.00  But if you add tax in the item price you will be collecting $0.91.  this could be where your issue is.

Message 2 of 25

I have added the percentage for the tax but when I go to checkout the tax doesnโ€™t seem to add to the total. Am I missing something? 

Message 3 of 25
Admin

Thanks for joining us @Lkuzma412

Take a peek at this thread just to make sure that you're properly set up. RHatch goes over some suggestions you can check from your Dashboard.

If you're still running into trouble please let us know!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 25

I'm still having trouble.  Tax is not applied at checkout ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 5 of 25

I'm having a similar issue.  I had taxes working and applied when I was using my iPad, but I just had someone do an online check out and there was no Tax added.  So what little profit I had from the sale was eaten up by the tax I've had to swallow.  Did you ever get this issue figured out?

Message 6 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CarbonPoint - thanks for reaching out! So sorry to hear about the trouble with your Taxes applying to sales. We are here to help!

Do you have the Online Store tax calculator enabled? This should automatically apply the correct tax rate based on shipping address of the item. 

I will keep an eye out for your response! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 25

Iโ€™m having the same issue as @CarbonPoint was there a solution? Iโ€™m losing money on each sale.

Message 8 of 25

I see.   I have it set up on the iPad, and didn't realize it doesn't propagate to the online site.  That's a poor design that needs to be fixed.

Message 9 of 25

I have it enabled and it still does not work

Message 10 of 25

I never really resolved the issue. Iโ€™m at a point where I donโ€™t sell too much retail to my clients anymore so I just eat the cost if anything is off. The tax collected is a percentage on retail products only. (I also have services on the ticket that donโ€™t get taxed). I believe square still doesnโ€™t collect what itโ€™s supposed to. 

Message 11 of 25
Admin

Hey @emmanouela and @Northerngirls -

Really sorry to hear of this. We don't want you to miss out on any sales. Please give us a call as soon as you can so we can resolve this issue.

Feel free to circle back in this thread with any solutions you find ๐Ÿ’ญ

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 12 of 25

Tax calculation is POS 101.  This is a simple thing that should be easy to set up.  Unfortunately, if you set it up on the App, it doesn't propagate to your account, it just stays on your iPad.  So, in order to do it correctly, you have to set it up in both places.

I haven't tried to set it up online yet, but if it's not simple, I'm sure you'll hear me griping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 13 of 25

At the checkout on the website taxes still aren't showing up, but then on the app it works? 

Message 14 of 25

Message 15 of 25

I am having the same issue with checkout links and online site.  HST is set up (add to items) and 0 tax is added at checkout. How do I unpublish the site until this is fixed?

Message 16 of 25
Alumni

Are you still running into these issues, @yogaandpole?

We ran into some issues yesterday, and it sounds like this may be related to what we experienced.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community - sorry to hear that troubles brought you here! โœจ

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 25

Yes the same issue, no tax added on transaction and the community link included in your message is for US, I'm in Canada

Message 18 of 25

I am in Ontario Canada too... how do we get this fixed for our website!.?

Message 19 of 25

I don't know. I use Square in the studio and could only use PayPal online. If they don't figure out how to fix the tax issue, I'll continue with PayPal online but I'd prefer to be able to offer Square payments to simplify my records.

Message 20 of 25

I am building my site and I have tried several times to do both add in or include tax in and it says its saves but when I go to publish the site to trial it there is no taxes in either selection picked ...it is VERY frustrating I cant get this resolved.. Please help.

Message 21 of 25