x
Beta Member

How to make square work best for: 1. Sell by weight, inventory by count, 2. Sell a monthly membershi

I have been patiently (not really) for several options to become available on square...

1. I need to be able to sell by the pound and keep inventory by the package. 

I sell meat and not all packages are the same weight in each separate item. For example: if I have 20 packages of chuck roast, I need to be able to account for 1 package, but sell it for the price per pound x the actual pounds of each package.

I know that this has been requested several times. The "work arounds" that have been offered are even more time consuming that adjusting inventory at the end of each day....

This is very hard to keep updated, because online, many items are out of stock when they really aren't.

2. House accounts or membership with levels.  

I have CSA memberships- members pay each month, 6 months, or 12 months at a certain level. Members pay by the 25th of the month prior, so they "reload" their account at the beginning of each month. 

I thought of using virtual gift cards for the CSA membership; however, to get the account # to "refill" each month, I would need to send the card to myself, first, get the account #, then forward the gift card to each member.  

Currently, I keep track with an excellent spreadsheet and pen and paper, double checking each week in transactions....

If house accounts could be preloaded or if there were a membership option that would give the member a set amount of credit at the beginning of each month, that would be great! 

One downfall of the current workaround is that when members are billed for there invoices, the payment is included in income balance -- but when they come in to actually shop for their items, that balance (I use "other payment" and type in CSA) it ALSO counts as income. So It causes some accounting descrepencies. 

3. We also accept SNAP, WIC Farmers Market Coupons, Senior Farmers Market Coupons,and Health Insurance Fresh/Local Food Coupons--(which are all submitted and paid at different times). For example: I am getting paid in June or July for coupons accepted in May. Or in January for coupons accepted in October or November! Again, not something that the accountant enjoys hunting down! 

4. Online order without payment.

Because each product hass various weights, it is not helpful for customers to place an Order online and pay at the time of order, because most of the time the actual amount is more than what they paid. I had a few customers complain, even though there is a disclaimer on the ordering page. I have also had to refund a portion of their payment, which is more of an issue now since the return policy has recently changed. 

If customers were able to place an order without payment, the business then pull the order, entering actual weights, then send and invoice back to the customer, that would be MUCH more ideal than my current workaround of having the customer send an email with their order then we can make a ticket for the order  and they can pay at pickup. 

I know that I am not the only one dealing with these same or similar issues. 

Square is the most economical option for small direct sales farmers and we are all looking for options where we don't feel like we are trying to create something new for each new item that we offer.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Thanks so much for these Requests @HHFamilyFarms. In order to appropriately send these to our product teams we’d love it if you'd submit this request on our Ideate page. Make sure to read the criteria found at the top of the page before submitting. Our team monitors these boards and we triage them to measure needs. You can search the boards to see if this has been requested before and add your use case if so!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Hi @HHFamilyFarms 

Pintuna is a Square app marketplace partner. Our membership solution can handle the requirements you have mentioned in #2 (membership with levels) above. In fact we have another farm using our solution for this as well. Happy to demo the solution if you are interested. You can reach out to us at sales@pintuna.com or just request a demo.

Message 3 of 3