x

Transaction declines even though customer can see pending charges in her account.

I am manually entering a transaction with the client's full information, and even have contact with her. She sent me a screen shot of the pending charges in her account, so I know the information was correct. Why was it declined if all is correct?

I nearly always manually enter transactions because that's how I have my website set up, and I often can't get a signal when I am at a festival and any other time it was because the card issuer flagged the transaction. I've never seen it actually reach the account and still be declined.

Thanks for any insights!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

Pending transactions are just that pending.  If it was declined on your end then it will not officially post on the customer's account.  This can be a couple days before it drops off.  With some debit cards, every transaction approved or not will be marked as pending.  When I go to the gas station I will see a pre-approval amount and the actual charge.  After a few days, the pre-approval amount drops off and the actual charge posts.

Message 2 of 4

I know that's what happens in her account, and I see it in mine as well. I only mentioned the pending charges because they proved that the information was entered correctly.

What I do need to know is why is it declined when everything was apparently entered correctly? What else can I do?

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

to find out why it was declined the customer would have to contact the credit card issuer, Square doesn't decide to decline a transaction but the purchaser's bank does and doesn't pass that info to Square.  It could be because it is manually entered or any number of reasons.  

Message 4 of 4