x

Cannot make sales with chip reader?

Only the tap will work on my reader with debit cards.  Tap works as does the chip with credit cards only.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

I tried tapping my pad but nothing happens

Message 2 of 4
Alumni

Hi @Moe1950 -

I'm sorry, it sounds like you weren't able to complete a payment with the Contactless + Chip Card reader. Have you made sure to follow all of the steps to connect the reader? If you have everything connect, please check the troubleshooting steps I shared with @pderuiter here on this thread.

Please double check and let me know if you still need help. 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hi @pderuiter

With the Contactless + Chip Card reader, you can accept Interac Debit Tap payments, contactless credit cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay, and chip credit cards (note: Interac Debit chip cards are not supported at this time). 

If you are attempting to process a supported payment method, please make sure your reader is operating correctly by following these steps:

• Ensure you are using a supported device.
  • Force quit and reopen the Square Point of Sale app.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square Point of Sale app (note: if youโ€™ve recently accepted payments while in Offline Mode and havenโ€™t uploaded them, donโ€™t delete and reinstall the app as this will cause you to lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app).
  • Turn your device off and back on.
  • If the reader and device are more than 10ft apart, the reader will have trouble maintaining a consistent connection. Move your reader and device closer when in use.

If these tips donโ€™t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure itโ€™s charged.
  • While the reader is charging, use a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  • After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  • Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.
  • If the reader lights turn on, youโ€™re all set. If the lights donโ€™t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the readerโ€™s button for a full 20 seconds.

These steps should get you up and running. Feel free to complete a $1 test transaction to make sure you have everything connected correctly. 

Message 4 of 4