x
Beta Member

Fresh KDS & Printer question

Hi all, just getting set up with Square with our Burger Bar and we are wanting to know if we can have a Blueooth/USB/Ethernet Printer AND the Fresh KDS system, or if we have to go with 1 or the other?

If we can only have 1, can a single printer can give me 2 reciepts? 1 for the FOH and 1 for the kitchen, either a reprint or Carbon Copy?

Any feedback from other businesses would be fantastic! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

We have two thermal ethernet printers, one ethernet impact printer, and one KDS on our network. Square sees them all! You'll have to tell Square what category to print where, but it's completely doable.

As for your question regarding one printer printing multiple order tickets, theoretically I believe it can be done with the printer stations applet inside the PoS, but it just seems like it would be a physical nightmare to do. The printers don't print what printer/printer station it came from, just the receipt number and what tablet was used to ring up the ticket. I can see great confusion as to what ticket goes where, and if you use the same printer for customer receipts, there's the added risk the customer could grab the order ticket. Best to stick with multiple printers! 🙂

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

With the ethernet printers, do the routers need to be connected to the internet or can we just use them as a local network for everything to communicate? Our facility is unable to have wifi or hardwire at this time so thats why I'm asking before we purchase anything.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

If you are able to have ethernet-based printers on a local area network that does NOT have internet access, you're going to run into a problem. Square needs the 'net to process cards, If you're on a wifi network that only talks locally, Square will automatically default to an offline mode. You'll have to figure out a way at the end of the day to batch the cards by enabling cellular. This seems to be a limitation of iOS versus Square: I don't think the operating system can handle both a local network and a cellular connection simultaneously. (I would love to be proved wrong on this one, though!)

For your situation, I would recommend sticking with USB printers that can plug into the stand hub. You can still have multiple printers, you'll just need a *really* long USB cord for your kitchen printer. 🙂 Good luck!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 4