x

Can I use Square Online Checkout Links for international sales?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Online checkout & international sales]

Apologies if I ended up posting this in the wrong place.

We are using online checkout links, not Square Online because we’re using a different web package.  In the support article

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6692-get-started-with-square-checkout-links 

it says: “Square Online Checkout links are only available for domestic sales.“ 

Could someone elaborate on this please? We are essentially selling  tickets to streamed events.   There  are no taxes (we are a charity and in this state charities don’t charge tax).  Is the problem that a foreign credit card would have a postal code that doesn’t have the same format as US cards?  What exactly preventS someone living outside the US from paying with a non-US credit card through an online check out link?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @IKRCGC!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community ✏️

Square Online Checkout links are only available for domestic sales, meaning that if you'd like to sell items online internationally or create a fully customizable eCommerce website, you'll need to build a Square Online site and share that with international customers to make purchases.

Ultimately, It's only with Square Checkout links that you will only be able to make domestic sales. This would not apply if you were to build a Square Online site.

I hope this makes things more clear. I wish I could provide reasoning behind this, but at this time I cannot. I will definitely follow up in this thread if this changes. Thanks for surfacing this question/limitation. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @IKRCGC!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community ✏️

Square Online Checkout links are only available for domestic sales, meaning that if you'd like to sell items online internationally or create a fully customizable eCommerce website, you'll need to build a Square Online site and share that with international customers to make purchases.

Ultimately, It's only with Square Checkout links that you will only be able to make domestic sales. This would not apply if you were to build a Square Online site.

I hope this makes things more clear. I wish I could provide reasoning behind this, but at this time I cannot. I will definitely follow up in this thread if this changes. Thanks for surfacing this question/limitation. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 3

I’m afraid i’m still not clear what you mean by internationally. Clearly if someone is in Europe but uses a US credit card it works. As far as I can tell, people in Europe not using a US credit card works, it just is converted to USD, perhapd by the card issuer.

Exactly what do you mean that it doesn’t support international sales....The sale won’t go through, or what?  We are not seeing a problem so far. However we will get online sales, basically online event ticket sales so no shipping and no taxes, from all over the world.  So we cannot use Square (Online checkout links) for this if it doesn’t support that. We cannot change to a Square online site at this time because we have a lot invested in the web package we’re already using & don’t want to convert.

Message 3 of 3