x

Can my customers set up a recurring payment by themselves?

Some of my customers feel more comfortable if they enter their credit card info directly by themselves, instead of giving the info to us. Is it possible for the customers to do this? Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

@chuatutam Yes! If you send your customer an invoice you can select the option to Allow Customer to save a card on file. When you select this option your customer will enter their card information themselves when paying the invoice and check a box to allow you to save that payment card. To set this up:

1. Head to the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Create Invoice.
  3. Scroll down to More Options > check the box Allow Customer to save a card on file.

When your customer pays the invoice this is what they will see and they can check the box to save their card with your business.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 7

@Helen once a customer saved a card with the business, do they have to input card information each time for future invoices they receive?

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Brenda66 👋

Just stepping in for Helen here! If you've saved a card on file, you would be able to charge the card on file directly from your end. If they prefer to make a payment themselves, they can enter their card details when following the link in the invoice email. 

Message 4 of 7

Thanks @Arie, once the save my card on file is checked, I understand that the business is able to charge on our end, but my customer asked me, he already saved the card on file, why does he have to input card information every time?

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

When you send an invoice to a customer, they will have to enter their card again to pay as the card on file can only be used from your end. Your customer might be able to save their card details in their browser to pre-fill on certain websites, but this is not connected to the card on file setting in your dashboard. This also gives your customer the chance to use a different card if they wish to, @Brenda66

Message 6 of 7

@Arie Thank you so much for the explanation.

Message 7 of 7