x
Admin

How do you balance family time or other care responsibilities with running your business?

Happy Wednesday, everyone ‌🌸‌ ‌💐

This time of year - when clocks change and schools break for spring - it seems like there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done. For business owners especially, it can be overwhelming to balance everything alongside your day-to-day operations. And it can feel lonely as well 🩷.

For those who have been in this position before, we’d love to learn:

How do you balance family time or other care responsibilities with running your business?

Looking forward to reading your insights!

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Tagging @mksavage@DLRosenberg and @Minion in case they have thoughts!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 2 of 16
Super Seller

Honestly I perform and stay on my toes more often when I'm busy.  For some reason, my brain seems to click and the gears move a lot more than when it slows down for a few weeks in Feb/March.  

I find myself jotting down a lot of notes.  Before I leave work, I'll write down things that need my attention first thing in the morning when I get back in.  The same goes for things at home.  I make lists of things that need to get done and prioritizing them with the time of the year and importance.  I do what I can get done in a day, and if that doesn't happen its no sweat, it'll still be right there when I get back to it.

My business phone goes into silent mode every night at 5 and on the weekends.  Granted, I will check it periodically but just a large business I have hours of operations as well and I've come to the point where I don't need to be near my business phone 24/7.  

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 3 of 16
Admin

I definitely relate to performing more when busy vs. being slow! Nice to hear the boundaries that you have set too. 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 4 of 16
Admin

@Minion @maxpete I ALSO RELATE TO THIS! 

️ Hailey
Seller Community Marketing Manager
Square Seller Community
Message 5 of 16
Super Seller

I use a planner...literally it's a must for me...On Monday mornings I usually plan out my week personal and business....I add events to my planner calendar and my digital calendar whenever they are scheduled or booked...I also schedule family time and my self care time....I truly believe you have to schedule things that are important to you and make it a priority to follow that schedule....Things change yes, that's why they make white out!!!!

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 6 of 16
Admin

+1 to using a planner and scheduling out the priorities! 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 7 of 16
Admin

@JUYBoutique20  Scheduling family/personal/partner time is so important! I have found this is something my partner and I are constantly in and out of habits. We, and our lives, work MUCH better when we are in the habit. 

️ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 8 of 16
Super Seller

This is such a great question @tranguyen @maxpete -- I feel like I could literally talk about this topic endlessly. But who am I kidding? There's no time for that!! The baby is crying, the emails are piling up, there's laundry everywhere, and it's Payroll day, ha! 😉 

In all seriousness though -- I feel like 5 years into motherhood and 10 years into business ownership, I'm starting to hit somewhat of a stride. There are lots of "practical" things that help me stay organized: a list app on my phone where I can quickly input something when it crosses my mind (I use Todoist), a very organized calendar, a loose routine for my days (I find this better than a super structured routine which almost immediately goes out the window). But one of the things that has helped me most is simple to do my best to be fully where I am at the moment. If I'm in Mom-Mode, put the darn phone down. Work can almost always wait, there are very few things that are life and death, and I don't want to spend my kids' childhood looking at a screen. And when I'm at work, be fully at work. I used to be a person who took a lot of pride in being able to do-everything-at-the-same-time, but I found that trying to work & take care of children simultaneously felt like I was being physically & mentally ripped in two, and it was really painful (and inefficient). So, that's what I'm working on -- be fully where you are. It's freeing, honestly. 

(A big part of this, which is a whole other topic, is that I finally had to release some control and hire managers to handle most of the on-site, day-to-day operations. Which allows me to work primarily from home, stopping in briefly a few times each week. It's really hard, but also a total game changer.)

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 9 of 16
Admin

This is fantastic advice for all parents @mksavage, thank you! 

I can't believe how difficult it is for me to put my phone down too. I have to leave it in a different room in the evenings or put it somewhere I can't see it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 16
Super Seller

@Helen  Oof, I don't know why it's so hard to put the phone down, but it really is! We ended up putting a charger in the foyer, and I'm trying to the practice of plugging it in there at the end of my workday. I mainly work from home, so I keep trying to think of things I could do that would be like a "commute" -- some kind of signal to my brain/body that "I'm done with work now, time for Mom mode." It's hard!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 11 of 16
Admin

Great tip about charging it in a different area. I work from home too so at the end of the day I change out of my 'work clothes' (nice yoga/active wear) into 'home clothes' (less nice yoga/active wear)! That's my commute.
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 16
Super Seller

Oh my goodness, I love that so much. Nice active wear to less nice active wear, haha! This is my new plan.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 13 of 16
Admin

HAHAHA "Nice active wear to less nice active wear" hit me hard! Amen to that and a great tip @Helen about changing clothes (my therapist actually recommended this once. I should probably start doing it cause your girl needs boundaries and rituals) 

️ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 14 of 16
Admin

@mksavage you've hit your Malcolm Gladwell 10,000 hours 😅 MASTER MICHELLE

️ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 15 of 16

I try to prioritize my time. It isn't an easy task. Thank God that I only have 1 child. He requires enough attention as it is lol

Message 16 of 16