x

CAN SQUARE AUTO GENERATE 5 OR 6 DIGIT SKU NUMBERS?

HI, IS THERE A WAY TO HAVE SHORTER SKU NUMBERS THAN THE ONES THAT ARE BEING GENERATED NOW? CAN THEY BE 5 OR 6 DIGITS, OR IS THERE A WAY THAT THE SKU NUMBERS CAN GENERATE IN NUMERICAL ORDER? WE ARE DOING LIVE VIDEO SELLING AND I WAS HOPING THAT I COULD USE A SHORTER SKU NUMBER OR THE LAST FEW NUMBER OF A SKU AS A LOT NUMBER AS WELL IF THAT MAKES SENSE

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Your SKU can be any length up to 40 characters in Square.  Using a short SKU of 5 or 6 characters may limit you on the number of items you can sell.  May I ask why you would want to have a short Barcode SKU and not just use an auto generated longer digit one from Square?  I myself use barcodes in lengths of 8 to 35 characters, but now with a limit in Quickbooks I have to change a few to SKUs to get below 30 characters.  To keep my printed barcodes the same size I use a QR code as my barcode for items. You just need to have a 2D barcode scanner to scan a QR code.

If you really need 5 or 6 characters, let Square auto generate the SKU and the delete some characters to you get to your 5 or 6 characters.  If the SKU turns red it means it is already in use though.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 2