x

Can I accept two gift cards as payment for the same transaction?

Can I accept two different gift cards as payment on the same transaction? For example, if the transaction total is $38.00 can the customer use two $20.00 gift cards as payment. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

HI there, @PitmasterPaul! Thanks for taking the time to ask your question here. Good to hear from you again!

Yes! - you should be able to take two separate gift cards for the same transaction. The process would be similar to taking a partial payment with two 'different tenders.' Here are some helpful steps to help you walk through the process: 

1. Tap Charge.
  2. Tap Split Amount at the top-right of the screen.
  3. Enter the Payment Amount for the first tender type.
  4. Tap Continue to return to the Payment Method screen.
  5. To edit the amount to be charged, tap the Edit Split button.
  6. Select a tender type and complete the transaction.
  7. To cancel one or more Split Tender payments before completing the transaction, tap Edit Split > Cancel.
  8. To split the payment further, tap the Edit Split button and enter the Payment Amount.
  9. Continue processing the additional tender types until the entire sale has been completed.

These steps can also be found in this helpful resource, as well as some troubleshooting if you encounter any issues.

Feel free to respond here with any questions you may have! We are here to help. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

@Joe_123 Thanks! I'm not sure why I couldn't figure that out, but this should help!

Message 3 of 8

No worries at all, @PitmasterPaul! Glad we were able to assist.

Cheers! 🍻

Joe
Message 4 of 8

Hi all! Are customers able to use multiple gift cards on the same transaction? I’d like my customers to have the option to buy multiple lower priced gift cards to put towards a larger purchase when my shop updates. I didn’t see anything about it on the gift card help page so thought I’d ask.

Message 5 of 8

Hi @FerroxtheBlue,

There is a way to split a transaction to use two gift cards but probably not for the way you're looking for here.

I moved your post to this existing thread that goes over how to split tender. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 8

That does sound like the idea, but can it be done online? I don’t have a physical shop with a square register.

Message 7 of 8

@FerroxtheBlue Ah sorry this is for POS only.

There's not a way to use multiple gift cards with the Online Store at all at this time.

Ashley C
Message 8 of 8