x

Can I integrate Square with Squarespace?

I am having an account on square-up and want to display all the Items(products) of my square-up on my squarespace site.

so can anyone guide or instruct me to implement the above mentioned functionality...?

Message 1 of 54
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I accept Square payments on Squarespace

Hi @Michaelv1,

You are correct about Squarespace using Stripe for credit card processing. According to Square, "Although you are unable to link Square directly with your Squarespace website, Squarespace developers can embed Ecwid to accept payments with Square. Read more about integrating with Ecwid." It will take a little bit to set up, but this should allow you to have Square process your transactions.

Alternatively, you could move your store over to Square Online Store/Weebly.

2 Best Answers

Best Answer

Hello!

Happy to summarize (and noting that  my client uses Square for in-person transactions and is very happy with the purhcase flow: Doesnt want a different POS solution): It was very tempting to try and connect these systems in this way, beacuse they both existed and work well for what they do, but at the end of the day it isn't work the risks, uncertainties, or headaches. As a general matter, this is mostly because SquareSpace is pretty locked-down, which is totally fine if the features they offer are a good fit for your customer's website hosting needs. Remember, it looks like there was a workable solution on the SquareSpace side and the closed it because they don't want you doing this for all of the obvious and annoying reasons. So maybe we're down the wrong rabbit hole...

If SquareSquare (Website) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it.

If Square (POS/Checkout/(basic inventory)) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it. They appear to make it easy for 3rd parties to supply reliable integrations.... because they understand that they don't completely support your customer's use-case either!!!

If your customer is trying to build and grown an online store, they need one more product (like BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc). It's one more subscription, but the alternatives are effectively dead-ends.

We did the following:

• Created a store on Big Commerce
  • Used the Square plugin for Big Commerce to enable synchronization between the two systems (this works well), to give the client an early preview, to get Square inventory data into Big Commerce (because you should probably handle the migration of existing products from Square to Big Commerce in a semi-manual way... Big Commerce should become the primary source of truth/managing interface for inventory (stock counts synchronize back from Square to BC very fast, so sales on the floor and in the store via a single Square store are fine) so this is an Awesome time to do a little cleanup and to create consistency in the product representations, which is usually exciting for the client), AND getting the minimal store up will give you time to...
  • [Important to start early and don't tell them until it works]: Set up, wait, test, test again: the client's redirect from "https://shop.squarespacewebsitename.com" or whatever to the Big Commerce store (their docs are pretty alright). We didn't even have to jump to the expensive plan for https to work all the way through, though some historical docs and comments suggest that it used to be necessary. Thanks be to the HTTPS-everywhere people!

I pulled the Square Data into Big Commerce so I could start from a correctly formatted csv for endless rounds of downloading it from BC, making local changes via a little Python framework that I wrote to get the job done and to make it easier to a) incrementally sanitize the product data, b) respect the constraints of the BC csv upload system (The category column must have a value for each product, but prouducts in multiple categories need to have that information represented as a single delimited string, example), and uploading it again to see how the everything looked.

N.B. You have to enable synchronization to initiate the first Square => Big Commerce copy. Just be sure to disable it before you start uploading test/dev product csvs or testing your migration tool!

Cheers!

Jonathan

View Best Answer >

Message 25 of 54

Best Answer

Hi @Michaelv1,

You are correct about Squarespace using Stripe for credit card processing. According to Square, "Although you are unable to link Square directly with your Squarespace website, Squarespace developers can embed Ecwid to accept payments with Square. Read more about integrating with Ecwid." It will take a little bit to set up, but this should allow you to have Square process your transactions.

Alternatively, you could move your store over to Square Online Store/Weebly.

View Best Answer >

Message 47 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Square

Hey @jdbswl. Happy to provide a little more insight here (as far as our process for integrations). While we do promote a number of eCommerce integrations in our App Marketplace (like Weebly & BigCommerce), we open our public APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) to all developers. The ones you see here are companies that decided to build on to our platform, meaning, they did the work to connect with Square (not us). The workaround I described above is because Ecwid built out this solution. We want our sellers to use whatever platform works best for their business, but ultimately, it's up to the individual website building companies to choose to expand their offering and do the engineering work to include Square.

There are some cases where you could hire a developer to build out a custom integration, but that would depend if the website building company has a public API available to do this. Have you already had a chance to reach out to SquareSpace to see if they have plans to do this in the future? It sounds like it would need to be something on their roadmap.

As for the discussion you had with one of our folks, I'm happy to touch base with them to make sure we're all on the same page! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 54

Thank you for the clarification!

Squarespace Customer Service will neither confirm nor deny that they are planning to do an integration, ever, but apparently they get this request a lot.

Message 23 of 54

@jdbswl

Hi Jonathan, I'm curious how you ended up helping your customer. I want to do the exact thing you described and am also stumped on a solution. Thanks so much! -Amye

Message 24 of 54

Best Answer

Hello!

Happy to summarize (and noting that  my client uses Square for in-person transactions and is very happy with the purhcase flow: Doesnt want a different POS solution): It was very tempting to try and connect these systems in this way, beacuse they both existed and work well for what they do, but at the end of the day it isn't work the risks, uncertainties, or headaches. As a general matter, this is mostly because SquareSpace is pretty locked-down, which is totally fine if the features they offer are a good fit for your customer's website hosting needs. Remember, it looks like there was a workable solution on the SquareSpace side and the closed it because they don't want you doing this for all of the obvious and annoying reasons. So maybe we're down the wrong rabbit hole...

If SquareSquare (Website) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it.

If Square (POS/Checkout/(basic inventory)) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it. They appear to make it easy for 3rd parties to supply reliable integrations.... because they understand that they don't completely support your customer's use-case either!!!

If your customer is trying to build and grown an online store, they need one more product (like BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc). It's one more subscription, but the alternatives are effectively dead-ends.

We did the following:

• Created a store on Big Commerce
  • Used the Square plugin for Big Commerce to enable synchronization between the two systems (this works well), to give the client an early preview, to get Square inventory data into Big Commerce (because you should probably handle the migration of existing products from Square to Big Commerce in a semi-manual way... Big Commerce should become the primary source of truth/managing interface for inventory (stock counts synchronize back from Square to BC very fast, so sales on the floor and in the store via a single Square store are fine) so this is an Awesome time to do a little cleanup and to create consistency in the product representations, which is usually exciting for the client), AND getting the minimal store up will give you time to...
  • [Important to start early and don't tell them until it works]: Set up, wait, test, test again: the client's redirect from "https://shop.squarespacewebsitename.com" or whatever to the Big Commerce store (their docs are pretty alright). We didn't even have to jump to the expensive plan for https to work all the way through, though some historical docs and comments suggest that it used to be necessary. Thanks be to the HTTPS-everywhere people!

I pulled the Square Data into Big Commerce so I could start from a correctly formatted csv for endless rounds of downloading it from BC, making local changes via a little Python framework that I wrote to get the job done and to make it easier to a) incrementally sanitize the product data, b) respect the constraints of the BC csv upload system (The category column must have a value for each product, but prouducts in multiple categories need to have that information represented as a single delimited string, example), and uploading it again to see how the everything looked.

N.B. You have to enable synchronization to initiate the first Square => Big Commerce copy. Just be sure to disable it before you start uploading test/dev product csvs or testing your migration tool!

Cheers!

Jonathan

Message 25 of 54

I already have a fuctioning webstore, but am interested in using the Square POS/Retail solution for in-store sales. Will I be able to have a common inventory between the two, where the inventory online updates automatically if something is purchased in-store, and vice versa? 

Message 26 of 54

Great question. Square POS brought eftpos to the masses and Squarespace is one of the most comprehensive  and intuitive drag-and-drop website builders. Selling Square items on your Squarespace website with live updating of inventory would be fantastic. But there’s no integration between the two.

Your options - as afar as I can discover - are:

1. Ecwid as a bridging integration. Ecwid takes your Square items onto multiple platforms, including Squarespace and also brings social media store fronts such as Facebook within your reach, so it looks super helpful. Problem is, integration with Square item inventory only kicks in with at the USD100/mth plan. 

And that’s it. Square item inventory does integrate with 3 other web platforms:

1. Square online store. Only available in the US and too basic for even minor branding. 

2. Weebly. Recently purchased by Square, Weebly is the lame duck of drag-and-drop website builders; functionally eclipsed by Squarespace and even Wix. It’s determined to crash your browser window, is denuded of the most basic features and has a support team that hoards helpful information like gold nuggets. 

3. Big Commerce. Apparently well-provisioned as a commerce focused website builder, anything in the blog or other function areas relies on 3rd party, freemium, ad-supported plug ins. So, limited and eventually expensive once you add on all those plug-in fees. 

So, yeh. If Square won’t play nicely with competent website builders, and demand I sacrifice my web experience for inventory management, we’re left with no choice other than to seek out POS providers who *will* integrate with Squarespace and its ilk.  

Message 27 of 54

@OddsEnds @Gr3g 

Hey! Just want to announce that Trunk now integrates with Squarespace which means you can now sync inventory in real-time between Square and Squarespace. On top of that, Trunk integrates with Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire so you’ll also be able to sync your Squarespace inventory with those platforms as well! All you need to do is make sure your SKUs match between platforms and Trunk will keep your inventory synced and centralized.

Trunk also supports some advanced inventory management features like bundling and kitting which can help keep your inventory consistent if you’re looking to properly sync your inventory across 5-pack, 10-packs or want to track material quantities.

There’s also live chat available if you want to come by and ask questions.

Learn more: https://www.trunkinventory.com

Message 28 of 54

@jdbswl

Thanks so much for this! It is very helpful.

I should have noted that I'm actually the customer (I'm not a developer with a customer who has these needs). However, I do have a web design/development background. Perhaps I can get all of this figured out. Unless you found it challenging and think I should seek help?

With this solution, I can keep my inventory in SquareUp? Or do you suggest moving it?

Has your customer ditched SquareSpace altogether? I don't think I understand where you guys ended up with that product.

Thanks,

-- Amye

Message 29 of 54

We use Square POS on an ipad in our physical location and ave all of our inventory/counts in there. We are looking into setting up a Squarespace website because we were under the impression that it could integrate to pull inventory over, which would be helpful because we wouldn't have to manually adjust inventory on either end if something sold. Is there an actual way to do this?

Message 30 of 54

@TheWeepingGlass You'll be able to do this with Trunk, which can sync your stock levels in real-time between your Square POS and Squarespace website. All you need to do is make sure SKUs match between both those sales channels

https://trunkinventory.com

Message 31 of 54

Not sure about Register, but you can use a Square Reader to sell through the Squarespace Commerce app. It deducts your sales from your Squarespace inventory. Selling in person with Squarespace Point of Sale – Squarespace Help 

Message 32 of 54

How can I collect payments via Square on my Square Space website?

Message 33 of 54
Admin

Hey @arosa5201-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! 🌟

Take a look at this thread for an answer to your question regarding Square Inc. and SquareSpace integration. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 34 of 54

How can integrate square to take multiple types of donations on the church squarespace website? 

Message 35 of 54
Admin

Hi @qpcc-

Just to confirm, you have a SquareSpace site, not a Square Online Store

If so, you can learn about integrating Square as your payment processor on your Square site within this thread. As far as donations go, that would be a website design setting. I would reach out to SquareSpace about having a donations section/option on your website.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions.  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 36 of 54

It's great to see that Square is now a merchant (credit card payment) option for Squarespace online stores, but it looks like this is USA only for now.

What is the timeline for getting things connected for Canadian customers?

This would be AWESOME as it would allow me to do payment in person, online, plus connect Quickbooks without an annoying 3rd party middleman application.

Othwewise I have to use stripe for the majority of my sales and then Square for in person... So hurry up and take my money Square! 😉

Message 37 of 54

I agree with this.  Looks like I'll be either using Stripe or the Shopify POS as Square doesn't integrate for Canadian's on Squarespace.  Kind of a hassle moving my website over but the integration of a POS/Online store is so key.  I plan to have an online store and a brick and mortar location so I need something that will work seamlessly for both.

Message 38 of 54

My store has been waiting for squarespace to set up their POS for Canada! It would make our lives so easy and it would be a wonderful addition for all us up here in Canada. 

Message 39 of 54

We have a Square-Up account and now have a Squarespace website with small store as well. How do I get my Square-Up POS transaction to show up as a payment on the Squarespace website? Do I need Ecwid?

Message 40 of 54

Hi, I have just started my retail business. I am doing only in-person sales by using Square POS system. My web page is made thorough square spaces and  I would like to start online sales too. But I don't know how to integrate these 2 systems? I am lost and ready to hire an IT team to figure out this configuration? If this integration is not possible, can I do online sales and in-person sales separately by not mixing the inventory? Thank you. Yeliz 

Message 41 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hi @KolonyaCarre and welcome to the Community.

You mean SquareSpace right? I want to make sure there's not another company called Square Spaces you're referring to.

I was able to Google this for you and found this article from Squarespace's Support Center. There's a blurb about Square in there!

Any further questions you'd want to send their way since they're a third party with us.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 42 of 54