x

Can I register for Payroll without a Virginia Employer Commission account number?

I am in the process of setting up a new Square Payroll account.  I am at the screen which requires tax id number etc. it also requires a Virginia Employer Commission account number.  I do not have an account with the VEC.  When I registered for the account, the system said that I did not qualify for an account at this time.  I visisted the VEC office, and spoke with someone who told me the payroll system should be able to support new businesses who don't have an account number.  The Square Payroll system will not let me continue my setup without this number.  Can someone please give me any assistance on this issues.  Thanks in advance for reading.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Hey there @LMLLLC - thanks for making your first post on the 👥 community. It looks like you got in touch with us by phone, but I wanted to make sure you and other sellers based in Virginia got a definite answer on this.

It seems to be the case that the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) can be strict on providing employers with this number and typically will not provide you with this number until you have paid $1,500 gross pay in payroll.

With that being said, you can complete the onboarding process with Square Payroll by temporarily entering all 1s in this field. This will allow you to move to the next screen to complete sign-up. Once you’ve met the payment threshold and you’re given an account number by the VEC, please contact our Payroll team so they can update your records. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and again -- to stress its importance, please contact our Payroll team once you have your  VEC account number so we may file and pay your taxes accordingly. 👍

Message 2 of 2