x

Can I set up a payment link where customers can enter an amount to pay (custom amount)?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original]

How can I set up a payment link to have customer choose amount to pay, similar to the way the  donation link set up?

Right now it only says "Item variations must have a fixed price to be sold in your store"

Thank you

Message 1 of 54
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Dropping in to introduce Buyer Entered Payments

Your customers can set their own payment amounts when you use Square Online Checkout links 🎉

If creating the link in-app, the flow starts by heading to Settings > Online checkout > Create link button >

You must select the Collect payments option here, and you'll see Allow buyer to enter amount at the bottom - be sure to toggle this ON in order to allow buyer-entered payments via this checkout link.

You can also create these links from your Square Dashboard starting here > Create checkout link button (top right):

Again, you must select Collect a payment here to view the Allow buyer to set the price option on the next screen:

Check the box next to this line in order to enable this option - voilà! 💫

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 50 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @VioletPetals. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if anything else comes up. We want to make sure you are taken care of!

Joe
Message 43 of 54

This is something we need as well.  Don't want to use paypal.me if we dont' have to.  Would rather just stick with square.

Message 44 of 54

Hello I'm creating my first online retail purchase link. Can a link have questions for customization? Tia

Message 45 of 54
Alumni

Thanks for posting @PJMorgs17 - Checkout links are very basic in their functionality, so I'm afraid custom options are not available. 

You might be interested customizing items by adding price variations and modifier options as a workaround 

Justin
Message 46 of 54

We want to give customers the opportunity to put down a deposit for a fence installation using Square. It is common for a customer to have several different proposals from us to choose from. Is it possible to email a link where they can set the amount of the payment themselves?

Message 47 of 54
Alumni

While this isn't currently possible, another person asked the same question in this thread @FenceGuys. I've moved your post here so that you can see the answer provided by @isabelle. Someone also mentioned here that a potential workaround would be to use Square Online checkout links, set up for donations - the donation option allows donors to enter an amount of their choice.

I think the best way to approach this would likely be to use Square Estimates and Invoices once your customer has confirmed the amount they would like to pay, but it sounds like you're looking for an alternate way!

Valentina
Message 48 of 54

I also am interested in something like this.  In my particular case, I have clients who place a "big ticket" order & ask to make payments of varied amounts.  I suppose it's a similar concept to "layaway".  The "scheduled payments" could potentially work perfectly for this, with the exception that the % and $$ amount would be left open so they can apply whatever amount they're able to apply at the time.  

Message 49 of 54
Alumni

Best Answer

Dropping in to introduce Buyer Entered Payments

Your customers can set their own payment amounts when you use Square Online Checkout links 🎉

If creating the link in-app, the flow starts by heading to Settings > Online checkout > Create link button >

You must select the Collect payments option here, and you'll see Allow buyer to enter amount at the bottom - be sure to toggle this ON in order to allow buyer-entered payments via this checkout link.

You can also create these links from your Square Dashboard starting here > Create checkout link button (top right):

Again, you must select Collect a payment here to view the Allow buyer to set the price option on the next screen:

Check the box next to this line in order to enable this option - voilà! 💫

Valentina
Message 50 of 54

It still calls it a "donation" when my customers click the link, so this doesn't work. 

Message 51 of 54
Alumni

When creating your link, are you choosing Collect a Payment or Sell an Item for the link type? 

I just created a link choosing Collect a Payment, but I don't see donation anywhere in my link. 

@XpressLegal

Justin
Message 52 of 54

Thank you for the update.  Yes, Collect a Payment using checkout link works.  

I am suggesting there be a minimum amount due/customer entered amount within an invoice.  The current payment schedule/options does not meet our company needs.

Message 53 of 54

Square is just horrible.  Just horrible, it's amazing they can be so terrible. 

Message 54 of 54