x

Can I use my terminal as a buyer-facing display?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Using the Terminal as a Tablet Companion for Social Distancing]

Ideally, I'd like to make the entire experience social distancing compliant.

Can the Square terminal be used as a payment only screen as a companion to the tablet?

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi again y'all

Just dropping in to let you all know that this is now possible!
Learn more by heading to this post 👀 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Can you use the square terminal instead of the customer display with the square register and if so is it possible to use it wirelessly?

Message 2 of 17
Super Seller

The Square terminal is a standalone device and does not work in conjunction with the Square Register or Square POS to be used as a customer facing display.  

Message 3 of 17
Alumni

Hi @nfabrands,

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

We appreciate you taking any and all precautions to practice preventive measures in keeping your community healthy. 

At the moment, we don't have a way to connect our terminal as a second display. Please check out this support article for details on how to connect a customer facing display by using an iPad. As an added effort, we have provided a plethora of resources to this growing list of actions we are taking to help our sellers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 17

when will it be available for android tablets or phones?

Message 5 of 17

Hi, I was using the Ipad with the card / chip reader and I upgraded to the terminal thinking I could use it the same way but it's not the case. I then contacted support to be told that I need the hub to connect them. The hub his made for a direct ethernet connection, but I was told that I good grab wifi of the ipad instead.

What I'm really trying to do is punch a sale on the ipad while still using my Bluetooth barcode scanner and printer but get the client to pay on the terminal so I don't have to hand them the Ipad to put in a PIN when necessary.

Is this possible at all? I'm not finding anything clear online.

Thanks

Message 6 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Trapper07

You have the ability to use your iPad as a Customer-Facing Display instead of the Square Terminal. Check out this Support Article on how to get it set up. 

I moved your post to a thread where another seller had a similar question too. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 7 of 17

Thanks, but I want to use the Ipad as a POS and the terminal as customer facing display. Is it possible now? The other thread is from 2020 so maybe something changed? 

Message 8 of 17
Admin

@Trapper07 the ability to use Terminal as a customer facing display/connected card reader to an iPad running Square POS isn't currently available.

This is a popular feature request we've received though and this functionality should eventually make a future update - I don't have an ETA to share, but watch this space!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 17

This is surely an essential feature. We use Square POS on the iPad but you can't send checkout information to the Terminal. Does Virtual Terminal connected to Terminal only work with desktop browser sales? I am not understanding the logic behind prohibiting connection from Square's POS with Square's own payment processing device.

Message 10 of 17

I definitely believe that it should be upgraded that the Ipad could send payment information to the terminal just like the card reader. And why the wireless features are going away is another thing too...in my case, I use the Cash box, printer and barcode scanners all wireless and with the Ipad. It would be nice if I could keep using them and send the transaction to the terminal. 

Message 11 of 17

Does anyone know anything about the Kiosk Buddy that is supposed to work as a self checkout with Square?  We are trying to set up a self checkout in our cafeteria when it reopens.

Message 12 of 17
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi again y'all

Just dropping in to let you all know that this is now possible!
Learn more by heading to this post 👀 

Valentina
Message 13 of 17

I love this feature! Do you know if there are plans to have it come to square for restaurants?

Message 14 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @jmulvaney I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 15 of 17

I'm looking into buying a square terminal and want to know if it can act as a customer facing screen when paired to the iPad.

Message 16 of 17
Super Seller

@ad4 actually yes, that feature was just rolled out in the last 30 days.  Looks to be a nice addition, but I haven't used it yet as we are closed for the season.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7428-connect-your-square-terminal-to-spos

Message 17 of 17