x

Can back of house notify front of house when order is ready via KDS?

We have a 2-level winery/restaurant and are looking for a way to have the kitchen notify the servers when their orders are ready, to lessen trips up and down the steps. I was hoping that was an option through KDS - that when an order is marked complete there would be a notification that pops up on the POS screen, but in the few test orders, it doesn’t appear to work.

Is this a capability and I’m missing something? Do you have any other suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@RFVineyards I think with the new kds there is an expo option where you could set up the 2nd kds downstairs and servers see the order there as ready to be served.  They would then bump the order off after they deliver it to table or as part of the process.  

The kitchen would be prep and downstairs would be expo.

Square KDS offers two types of stations to help streamline your kitchen fulfillment: Preparation (Prep) station and Expeditor (Expo) station. To start using Square KDS, you’ll need to choose the type of station you need. Don’t worry, you aren’t bound to one station forever—you can choose one station or multiple stations for each type and adjust your station types whenever you need.

Both types of stations sync and communicate with one another in real time, creating an efficient workflow—but they also have a few differences.

With Prep Stations, you can:

• Set layouts

• Set yellow and red timers

• View all orders 

• View All Day counts

• Route based on category configuration

• Recall tickets

• Clear all tickets 

With Expo stations, you have all the same capabilities as Prep stations and can also:

• View completed items and tickets from Prep stations

• Mark items and tickets as complete—this will also mark them as complete at all other stations

• Recall completed tickets back to the Expo station(s) or to both the Expo and Prep station

Hope this helps.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2