x

Cannot process payments through app, app wants me to buy reader hardware that i already own?

`Hello everyone, I am a newbie!  I purchased two square readers from the local big box store and installed square app onto my iphone.  The app will not allow me to process a card payment because it wants me to purchase the same hardware that I already own?  Help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Hello @redstick !

First question I have is about the readers you bought: did you pick up the plugin card reader or the contactless reader?

If it's the first one, make sure you have the reader that has the lightning port instead of the headphone port. Most iPhones nowadays don't have headphone jacks so you won't be able to use that reader. If you do have the lightning port version, you should only have to plug it into your phone while the app is open and it'll find it automatically.

For the contactless reader, you will need to pair it to your phone. In the Square App, go to More -> Settings -> Hardware -> Square Card Readers. In here, tap the Connect a Reader button and follow the steps on your screen.

If you've done all these steps and you're still seeing issues, please let us know and we will continue to troubleshoot.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2