x

Service availability on certain days only

Is it possible to have a service only available on certain days? For instance, I own a barber shop and we have a 12 and under kids cut. I would like to keep this service available Tuesday thru Friday, however, I do not want this service bookable for Saturdays. Kids cuts are cheaper during the week, but on Saturday we charge one price for all cuts regardless off age. Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hi @Thephatee24.  First, there is no way currently to restrict a service only to certain days/times.  That scheduling feature seems to only be available for Staff.  So, as a long term solution, I’d recommend going to the Feature Request board and submitting a suggestion for Square Appointments.

Having said that, I did some playing around with appointments, the dashboard and the app.  I believe I have come up with a rather unique workable short-term solution for you.  These are the basic steps that I believe will work just fine until Square comes up with a way of restricting services to certain time slots.

1. Create a new staff member (named “Kid’s Cut Staff” Or whatever) who will only be available for appointments during the days/times you have reserved for kid’s cuts.  Don’t forget to ONLY assign the service for kid’s cuts to this staff member.
  2. If you have kid’s cut service attached to other staff members, you will need to remove it from all of them.  You only want this “Kid’s Cut Staff” to have that service, and no one else.  Otherwise clients will be able to book kids cuts any time that staff member is available, which is not what you want.
  3. You’ll need to make a clear, bold statement on your website that kid’s cut appointments are not booked through specific staff, but that they can only be booked with this staff member only.
  4. When clients want to book a kid’s cut, they will pick this staff member and in the comments field for the appointment they can note a preferred staff member if desired. 
  5. Finally, when you checkout the client on the Appointments App, you won’t do the checkout the normal way of clicking on the appointment and checking out.  Rather your employee will sign into their number and follow the steps in this help article, in the section “Process Payments Without a Booked Appointment.”  That way the correct staff member gets credit for the sale.

I think this is pretty straight-forward.  But if you have any questions about the setup, or if you have concerns about anything here, let me know.  I hope this will work for you for now. The only real issue I see here is that once an appointment comes in for a kid cut, you might want to immediately assign and block out that time for the staff member assigned so that they don’t get double booked.  Yes, that’s a little manual work, but it’s easily enough done, I think.  Heck you could even just go ahead and book that staff member yourself, though you’d have to use a different service and make a few notes for the appointment.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 5

I appreciate your help, and I understand the way you are going about it, however,  I don't think that would work for my shop. It would require constant monitoring of booked appointments. Not to mention that if someone wanted a certain barber for their kid, and booked a time using your method, only to find out that an adult booked a hair cut with said barber for the same time. Then we wouldn't be to service the kid. Once again thank you for your input, maybe someone will find this method helpful.

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

Trust me I thought the potential drawbacks might be to much. Like I said, the double booking thing could be avoided by blocking out that time as soon as an appointment came in for a specific barber. But, like you said, that requires looking at every appointment quickly after getting notification. Definitely not ideal. 

Hopefully Square can add some functionality to help you, soon. 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

Adding one more thought.  You might be able to create an Advanced Widget to put a button on your booking page that says “Book Kids’ Cuts Here Only!” I haven’t totally tried that out, but it looks promising.  You’d still do the steps I already outlined.  This would just be a way to make it obvious on your website that there is only one way to book kid cuts — by pressing that button!

Chip

Website
Facebook
Message 5 of 5