x

Clearing e-gift card balance

I know how to clear an e-gift card balance so my question is what happens to the funds when I do so?  Does the money just get cleared off the gift card or does it get pulled from my account and refunded to the purchaser. The reason I’m wondering is we had a new employee working the front desk that wasn’t familiar with how to ring up a gift card or didn’t pay attention to the amounts being charged to the gift card and charged .50 for a $500 service so now the e-gift card still says balance is $499.50. I need to clear it but not refund it since the client received the service. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

Clearing a gift card does not refund the money, the only way you would refund the money would be to refund the transaction the purchased the gift card.

Just to be sure I am giving the right advice let me tag in @Helen.

Message 2 of 16
Admin

@Cr51615 @VanKalkerFarms Correct, if you clear the eGift Card balance it will not automatically refund associated sales.

I take it you don't have the eGift Card number so you can't process the sale again for the full amount?

Instead of clearing the balance you could see the eGift card has been added to your client's customer profile - and then charge the eGift Card on file.

Here are the steps to charge an eGift Card on file:

1. Open the Point of Sale app > tap the three horizontal lines > tap Customers.
  2. Search for your client's name > tap on their profile > scroll down to see if there is an eGift Card on file (you should see a card icon with a bow).
  3. If there is an eGift Card on file tap the three dots ... (top right) and select New Sale with Customer > enter the amount > you'll see the eGift Card icon again > tap Charge > tap Card on File > tap Charge again. (Phew.)

Alternatively, if you'd simply like to record the payment (or a payment for the balance) you could ring up the amount from your Point of Sale/app and select Other Gift Card or Certificate

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 16

This advice did not work.  Maybe something has changed since this post?  I'm so frustrated. I've been searching for 50 minutes for an answer. I had someone buy an e gift card awhile back and they did not have the 16 digit number so that I could account for it's use for the services rendered upon checkout.

I found the egift card on file, and when it was purchased, but I am only allowed to see the last four numbers. Why does this have to be so difficult? They offer this egift card and then there's no way to redeem it upon purchase if you don't have the full 16 digit number.  This advice did not work as well. So frustration! Am I missing something???

Message 4 of 16
Admin

@Leequa

eGift cards are saved as a Card on File for your customer. If you add the cost to the sale > choose Charge > Card on File > Search your Customer's Name - it will allow you to check out with the balance on the eGift Card.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 5 of 16

It's not there as a card on file.  Trust me, I looked.  I spent a great waste of time trying to figure wth to do.  This is the response I got back from Square:

For security purposes we only have access to the last 4 digits of each egift card. 

If you need the card number to process the payment, you will need to ask for that information to your customer. Since your customer does not have the information you can resend the card number as follows:

1. Sign in to the Sales section of your online Square Dashboard > Transactions.
  2. Search for the eGift Card sale by:
    • Filtering the transaction search by item > enter eGift Card.
    • Searching the receipt number from the eGift Card’s purchase.
    • Searching using the last 4 digits of the eGift Card or payment card. 
      Note: Update the date range to make sure you can search the eGift Card.
  3. Once you’ve located the transaction, select it and click the blue eGift Card number in the transaction details > click Resend.
Message 6 of 16
Admin

@Leequa 

Sounds like it's saved under a different profile then. Are you looking under the recipient's profile or the purchaser?

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 7 of 16

It's under the purchaser.  Maybe something changed since the e gift card was purchased over a year ago??

Message 8 of 16
Admin

Nothing has changed as far as the system goes and how it is supposed to work, but if they accidentally sent it to their own email address instead of the recipient, it could have done this.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 9 of 16

It was sent to the recipient, to a different email than the purchaser.  I went ahead and resent both the receipt and the gift card email to the customer for her to email me back the 16 digit number.  When I had her look for the old email for the orginal, she was looking on her phone, and I suspect the phone's history storage doesn't go back that far.  I asked her if the two emails I sent her do not contain the number, to check back on an actual computer for the original egift card email. 

So, I can't say what made this egift card purchase different, but I tried just about everything to record that that specific egift card purchase as a payment for that specific appointment. 

Message 10 of 16

I am also trying to find any record of an egift card I sent to a client, as a thank you, so I can clear the balance.

I have the cc'd email, and the gift card number/code from the email, but I cannot find any record of the egift card from my end.

If I click to check balance from the cc'd email that I sent the client, I get a $200 balance.

But I cannot find any record of this in my system, and I need to clear the balance, as I've just applied it to an invoice as a discount (since I didn't want to send the invoice without the gift certificate amount already applied, and then she'd get another email with the updated invoice after the gift certificate amount was applied).

No idea how to find the egift card in my system.

Ugh.

Message 11 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @BexBerra! Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us!

This sounds like something we would need to get eyes on directly. If you have followed the above troubleshooting for tracking down balance records concerning e-gift cards, but are still experiencing issues, we would recommend flagging this over to our Support Team directly. They can take a deep dive with you an ensure that any outstanding issues are resolved concerning the card credit. 

We will keep an eye out for your contact! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 16

I have followed the steps to clear the egift card however but the "clear" button will not activate allowing me to complete the process.  I  need to zero out gift cards that are fully used.  Thanks for the assist

Message 13 of 16
Alumni

Sounds like the customer used all the funds on the gift card. In that case, there's no funds available to clear. 

@YarnCloud

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 16

When will e-cards be back like they use to be where we can manually go in later and clear a $ amount if the client uses a partial balance and they don’t book the appointment under the correct recipient e-card therefore we cannot locate the e-card until later

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey @SpaCribb,

Welcome to the Community.

I'm happy to help, but I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Please reply to this DM with a little more information describing your technical issue or question.

I look forward to your reply.

Message 16 of 16