x

Clock in/Clock out options

Okay, so I'm trying to figure out if there is a good clock in option for our situation. Currently I am aware of two different ways of clocking in, at least for Square free/Square Retail. One is through the Square POS app and the other is through the Square Team app.

For the team app my current understanding is that it is only really used by each individual on their own devices, meaning, if timeclock is enabled for Team App employees would be able to clock in remotely, which limits accountability. So, unless there is a way to set up the Team App as a central device that many people can clock in/out of easily, it doesn't seem like a viable option.

Then there's the Square POS app which does seem to be able to be used by multiple people, but then there's all the other POS stuff that seems like it may clutter the experience for the sole purpose of clocking in/out.

Not sure why the only options that seem to exist for timeclock is people who work at the register or remotely from their own device, but maybe I'm missing something. I guess the only other thing I can think of would be if there's something in the Payroll package that makes timeclocks more straightforward.

TLDR/summary: I want to know if there is a simple, quick and easy way for multiple employees to clock in/out at a dedicated timeclock device.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

Do you have a central POS system at a counter in your storefront?

If so, the employee can clock in right from the POS system, you just assign them a 4 numbered code which can be created in their profile

This obviously won't work if you don't have a central POS station though. 

Rachel S.
The Plant Shack
www.theplantshackwny.com
Message 2 of 7

The problem is that I want an option where employees don't have to go to the storefront POS system to clock in. We have 10+ employees who also do shipping and office work who currently clock in at the office area. So, the only options I see as viable are either not using square for timeclocks, or putting a POS device in the office just for the use of clocking in/out.

Message 3 of 7

I have a standalone central POS at the checkout counter. Apparently, I have missed something, all team members have been assigned a 4 digit code. No where can I find a timeclock icon or any area that prompts each member to clock in or out before or after their shift.

Can someone provide the steps needed to setup the timeclock?

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @billkearns👋

To enable time tracking you will want to go into the Square app and visit Settings > Time Tracking > toggle Time Tracking on.

You can visit our Getting Started guide on time tracking for more information.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the info. I've done that but no change. On my screen... none of the corners has an icon of a timeclock. Also, there is a login text, but once I login the only prompt there is to logout.

There is no prompt for any of the team member to login while I'm logged in.

Plus I can not find where the timecards are kept, to allow me to look at the times entered.

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Our Support team would be able to look into this with you @billkearns! When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here: squ.re/contactsqsupport

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7