x

How do I apply a discount to a set of items so the price is $1?

Good morning, 

I have a Square setup for a local camp store and I am trying to figure out how to automatically apply a discount to items that we need to get rid of before the end of the year. For example, we have a bunch of ice cream that hasn't sold from the summer time so we want to sell it for a $1 each. 

I see that there is a discount section of the application where I can give a dollar or percentage discount, however that doesn't work for us because I want the price to be $1 and the prices of items range from $0.50 to $3.99. 

Other than changing the actual item price in each of the items, how do I apply a sale/discount so that the item is $1? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You have a few options:

1) To me, the easiest one is to change the prices.  You can export your items, edit the spreadsheet, and upload the changes.

2) You can enter a $ off discount based on the item at the time of sale.  This will mean some brain power at the time of sale and if you have multiple items they will have to be calculated together.

3) You can set up multiple $off discounts that can be used at the time of sale.  This may be a lot based on the number of different price points.

Option one also ensures that no discount is used for items that should not be discounted.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You have a few options:

1) To me, the easiest one is to change the prices.  You can export your items, edit the spreadsheet, and upload the changes.

2) You can enter a $ off discount based on the item at the time of sale.  This will mean some brain power at the time of sale and if you have multiple items they will have to be calculated together.

3) You can set up multiple $off discounts that can be used at the time of sale.  This may be a lot based on the number of different price points.

Option one also ensures that no discount is used for items that should not be discounted.

Message 2 of 3
Alumni

I'm going to give a big thumbs up to option 1 - thanks for suggesting this @RHatch.

@mightymouse3062 -  when I operated retail stores, I would adjust prices to make sale items easily identifiable in the POS. Changing the prices for discontinued or sale items will definitely make it easier and faster to process transactions.

Message 3 of 3