x

How long after getting a payment does funds become available on square card?

I recently got my first 2 transactions and I have a question. The first transaction was swiped with my card reader and it seemed like the funds became available on the card pretty quickly. The 2nd transaction was completed as an invoice payment and when I went to use the card a few mins later like within the 5 min frame after getting the payment the card was declined. When I went in it showed the funds were not available. I took care of what I needed to on my own and left the store and a few mins after they showed available.
So how long does it take for those funds to become available?

I am offering grocery delivery and my plan was to shop the order and before checkout send my customer an invoice for the balance plus my fees. They pay it and it funds my Square Card and then I checkout. Well that did not work out well today so I am trying to figure out how long I need to wait before I head to checkout.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

@cpyles3694  

Your balance should be available immediately, but allowing for communication between the card and the App may take a few minutes as well.

We're reaching out to our team to see if there were any delays on balances updating lately to see if there may have been an issue which caused this for you.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 11

@kellyj  Thanks because it had to have been at least a 10 min delay for the invoice payment to become available. 

Message 3 of 11
Admin

@cpyles3694

There can be up to a 15 minute delay expected from the time the payment is made until the card may be updated with that balance. You should see it within the 15 minute window though.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 4 of 11

Thanks, I'll just wait till I see it till I head to checkout then.

Message 5 of 11
Admin

@cpyles3694 

Sounds good! Let us know if it's every outside this window, as that would NOT be expected behavior.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 6 of 11

When I first activated my square card after opening an account for my business, I would send an emailed invoice to my clients and within five minutes or less the paid invoice amount was readily available on my square card. As of two weeks ago, this all changed. I had been very very pleased with Square and am now looking into an alternative. Like I stated, for the past two weeks I’ve been scared to even issue out invoices. I believe I’ve attempted three transactions in two weeks and have been quite disappointed with each of them. Which has caused me to have to only accept cash payment- completely inconvenient for both myself and my clients. If when I had initially opened an account and this had been the case, I would have cut up the card and gone elsewhere.. I would like to know what has changed, if anything? I would like to know why I successfully went months with having payments go directly onto my Square card after invoices were paid and now it’s a guessing game over a couple days, but most definitely not five to ten or twenty minutes or even an hour or two. Lastly, I’ve been trying to research the issue (because trying to speak to a live consultant is one hundred percent impossible and I do not even believe a customer service line exists. And I’m very aware of this due to hours I’ve wasted trying to get a customer service consultant on the phone) and have seen nothing but negative reviews and issue upon issue upon issue that has been posted by numerous other Square users and business owners of the last few weeks; so question is, why? What is going on? For a company that’s supposed to work with other businesses, one would think your company would be doing everything possible to not cause such inconvenience to your customers as well as our customers. What about OUR lost business, OUR loss of income, OUR unpleased and inconvenienced clients and customers. Your company directly influences our income and ability to provide for not just our clients and customers but our families. And when we can not access money we’ve earned, that’s basically a short term theft. Stop holding our money hostage. Fix the issues. If it’s not fixed immediately I will personally take my business elsewhere and make sure everyone I know, including many many other business owners, are made aware (which I’m sure they already are very aware) and firmly suggest they move their business elsewhere also. Please contact me with a way to speak to a live customer service consultant. It’s ridiculous that the only way to speak to anyone is by posting on a forum. Insanity. 

Message 7 of 11

I know the feeling.  I received  a payment manually  & it's been 9 hours now & still nothing in my account.  I got email that it will bee in my balance soon ,but 9 hours later nothing.  I don't  know   what to do.

Message 8 of 11
Alumni

@Juknow222 - If you haven't already, I suggest reaching out to our CS Team to investigate future. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 11

I received a payment around 10am and it is 430pm and it still hasn't posted to my square account 

Message 10 of 11

also, my customer paid me via  invoice, and the money did not become available which did not showed up in my balnce for hours. what happened ?

Message 11 of 11