x

How to release reader from dock once latched in place?

How to release reader from dock once latched in place?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @docsonder, thanks for surfacing! It sounds like you're referring to the Dock for the Contactless and Chip Card Reader, correct? These two pieces are designed to fit together snugly, so it can be a bit tricky to figure out the exit strategy for the first time. 😉

To remove the reader once it's latched:

1. Looking at "the back" of the dock, you should see a small notch about one inch above where the USB cord leads out of the dock.
  2. Place your finger in the notch to gently pull up on the detachable piece that runs across the top part of the reader.
  3. Slide out the Contactless and Chip Card Reader.
  4. Clip the detachable piece back into the dock for safe keeping.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. For more information, take a look at our Support Center. 😄

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @docsonder, thanks for surfacing! It sounds like you're referring to the Dock for the Contactless and Chip Card Reader, correct? These two pieces are designed to fit together snugly, so it can be a bit tricky to figure out the exit strategy for the first time. 😉

To remove the reader once it's latched:

1. Looking at "the back" of the dock, you should see a small notch about one inch above where the USB cord leads out of the dock.
  2. Place your finger in the notch to gently pull up on the detachable piece that runs across the top part of the reader.
  3. Slide out the Contactless and Chip Card Reader.
  4. Clip the detachable piece back into the dock for safe keeping.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. For more information, take a look at our Support Center. 😄

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 11

Although I appreciated the response to the question, I still CANNOT remove the “detachable” piece.  Do I need to return it - or get a hammer?

Message 3 of 11

Just wondering if you ever got this detached as I am in the same situation now..... 😕

Message 4 of 11

Ok......I took a pair of scissors to it and jabbed that piece off 🙂

Message 5 of 11

I am finding the same problem!!   They say to use your finger and lift up/out.  Not a chance!!  I need a dime or paperclip!!

Message 6 of 11

SAME PROBLEM!!    5 years later after your comment and it appears they haven't changed the method or hardware!!

Message 7 of 11

🤣

Message 8 of 11

Apparently this is a common problem!  I am now bleeding all over the new square device and dock!  I have followed the instructions to no avail and have resorted to trying paperclip and sewing pins to try to disengage the square from the dock.  Can anyone help?

Message 9 of 11

After a lot of blunt tools and plastic chipping, I realized I had been trying to slide it back, instead of pulling it up. Put your fingertip or nail in that divet/slot behind the arrow and card symbol. Pull it up. There's no way to know, really, that there is a slot hidden underneath in which a tab slides into securing the piece in place and locking it in. Pulling up is the only way to remove the piece. 

Message 10 of 11

Same problem!! Quite annoying 

Message 11 of 11