x

How to set up variable sku numbers that detect both item and variable price by weight?

So I’m using a an entire square stand pos for my butcher/meat store. We sell meat by the lb and my Torrey printing scale prints out label with either EAN13 or UPC12 sku numbers, which I can customize what comes out in those skus such as item code and either weight of goods or total cost of that goods (based on weight).

so my question is this, since my scale prints variable skus with that embedded information, I’m knowledgeable to change so that it prints only a sku for the item code which I can save on my square BUT I would like to change it so that it can detect both the item AND it’s variable total price for that item.

can I modify the way square can read my skus? Like to tell it that the first four numbers are item code and the following numbers are prices? 

I know how to change square item to sell by weight, but it would be a time saver to read a sku. I would like to program it how to read a variable sku because all the info is there, square just needs to be able to be programmed 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Welcome to the seller community! I'm Ashley. 

In regards to what you are asking, I believe we do offer it, but not exactly in the way you are looking for. While you cannot create a specialized SKU that will read what you want only off the SKU (item first, then last three digits the price), you can create your own SKUs in Square as well as create a variable priced item, with a SKU, and that will request a decimal quantity.

To create the variable priced item, go to Items on your dashboard > click create item > enter SKU and decimal quantity > leave price field blank

When you scan your item's SKU, it should immediately bring up the item, ask how much the decimal quantity/weight of the item is, and then ask how much you would like to sell it for. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

did you find a solution for this i encounter the same issue?

Message 3 of 3