x

I want to set up a Jam of the Month Club. How do I set this up for recurring payments?

I have a small jam and jelly company.  I have had a number of customers who want me to set up a Jam of the Month Club where they could order a subscription to receive 1 - 3 jars of our products once a month for 3 - 12 months at a time.  How can I set this up in my online store so that customers could order the subscription and pay for it in either one lump sum or monthly for the number of months and number of jars they would like?

Message 1 of 10
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: I want to set up a Jam of the Month Club. How do I set this up for recurring payments?

A quick update to this thread to let everyone know that we recently launched a feature that will allow sellers to offer subscriptions using Square Online Checkout!

This Product Update about using subscriptions with Square Online Checkout.

Please note that the membership functionality through Square Online Store still does not have a recurring payment option. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Since Square doesn't allow for subscription services, you're going to have to get a little creative.

This is what I'm putting the finishing touches on for a Coffee of the Month type thing at my shop:

Create the Online Store item with price variations. For the 1, 2, or 3 jars/month as a yearly lump sum, it's just the matter of them paying it. For the 1, 2, or 3 jars/month billed monthly, only charge for the first month. Make sure you have a great spreadsheet set up in the back end, or if you're like me, you'll forget the prepaid orders when you go to batch out your monthly subscriptions... 😉

In a "Thank you for ordering" email, explain that the monthly payments will be set up as Recurring Invoices, and that for them to officially be a part of the membership, they need to save their card information on the next invoice, which would be sent to them for the next month's billing.

The next month, grab their customer info from the database (they'll automatically be entered when they do the online purchase), set up a Recurring Invoice, and make sure that the "Allow automatic payments with card on file" line is checked as is the "Allow Customer to save a card on file" box. Set up the monthly charge to be the same price as you charged for the first month (or chances are they'll yell at you!), and let Square handle it from there.

In order to prevent declined transactions fouling you up, I recommend waiting to ship/deliver the jam until payments are confirmed.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

Since Square doesn't allow for subscription services, you're going to have to get a little creative.

This is what I'm putting the finishing touches on for a Coffee of the Month type thing at my shop:

Create the Online Store item with price variations. For the 1, 2, or 3 jars/month as a yearly lump sum, it's just the matter of them paying it. For the 1, 2, or 3 jars/month billed monthly, only charge for the first month. Make sure you have a great spreadsheet set up in the back end, or if you're like me, you'll forget the prepaid orders when you go to batch out your monthly subscriptions... 😉

In a "Thank you for ordering" email, explain that the monthly payments will be set up as Recurring Invoices, and that for them to officially be a part of the membership, they need to save their card information on the next invoice, which would be sent to them for the next month's billing.

The next month, grab their customer info from the database (they'll automatically be entered when they do the online purchase), set up a Recurring Invoice, and make sure that the "Allow automatic payments with card on file" line is checked as is the "Allow Customer to save a card on file" box. Set up the monthly charge to be the same price as you charged for the first month (or chances are they'll yell at you!), and let Square handle it from there.

In order to prevent declined transactions fouling you up, I recommend waiting to ship/deliver the jam until payments are confirmed.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 10

@ryanwanner,

Thank you. This was helpful

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller

I’m glad I could help! 

Happy selling!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 10

@ryanwanner@SoaringSwine , @ckamelya, Thank you both for this thread. I'm curious if this is still the case, or if they've updated their capacities? 

1) Are you still using this method for a stop gap membership?  
2) Has anyone developed and app or a plugin for a subscription model? 

3) Has Square, made this an in-house system yet? 

I'm trying to find the best site that integrates this system. If anyone has any other thoughts that would be appreciated. 

Thank you!  
Brave

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Hey  @wildmansoap-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Here are the apps that we integrate with for invoicing and payment collection which may be useful to you. Buyer or membership clubs, including dues associated with such clubs still remains a Prohibited Good or Services with Square Point of Sale.

However, we do suggest using Square recurring invoices if you plan to charge customers recurring for other goods or services that require a subscription. Which is currently not prohibited, as long as it doesn't relate to a membership club that requires dues. I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to reply back to me in this thread. Thanks again! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 10

@wildmansoap @isabelle 

Hi!

I migrated to the new Square/weebly platform. It made everything easier since there is a subscription option. However, I noticed that once a customer signs up for the subscription, I still have to contact them and ask them for the card info so I can set up a recurring payment.

Another option is to send a follow up invoice with the option to save the card on file after the customer signs up. 

It is not very practical and I wish Square made it automatic for the cards to be saved during the sign up process.

It would also be great if there was a spot for the customer to leave a note for us at checkout. We have a produce subscription box and we would like customers to let us know what they absolutelly hate and love so we can acomodate. 

I hope Square solves these issues.

Message 7 of 10
Admin

A quick update to this thread to let everyone know that we recently launched a feature that will allow sellers to offer subscriptions using Square Online Checkout!

This Product Update about using subscriptions with Square Online Checkout.

Please note that the membership functionality through Square Online Store still does not have a recurring payment option. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 10

so your saying that people can leave us a message and or notes at check out? and is there yet an option for recurring payments? I also switched to square bc of the subscription option which was not clarified well. I'd like to not have to ask customers for payment monthly. Any ideas on this? Im trying to put together a monthly nature activity box for families of multiple children. 

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Reneehorne85 - It looks like you've asked us this question about subscriptions on a couple of other posts as well. 

I provided some more information for you here in a thread. I hope this information is helpful but if you have any additional questions, please follow up with us there. Thank you!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10