x

Is the Samsung Note 9 campatible with Square Contactless Reader?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Samsung note 9

Is the contactless reader compatible with my new Samsung Note 9? I can't find any phone cases that allow the chip or magstripe reader to plug into headphone jack. The Note 9 isn't on the supported device list however I know the chip reader works when I plug it in after I remove the case. I want to make sure before I purchase the contactless reader. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 11
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @225Lock - If you're not seeing the device listed on our device compatibility page, then we can't be sure that it will work. We try to test as many devices as possible, but there are a lot of devices out there and they update very frequently! Hopefully, another merchant with a Note 9 can chime in here. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11

Best Answer

@kmgb, that's what I ended up doing and it works great. The contactless reader connected via bluetooth. However it doesn't stay charged as long as the chip card reader that plugs into your phone so be sure to keep the charging cable handy. 

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @225Lock - If you're not seeing the device listed on our device compatibility page, then we can't be sure that it will work. We try to test as many devices as possible, but there are a lot of devices out there and they update very frequently! Hopefully, another merchant with a Note 9 can chime in here. 

Message 2 of 11

Hello I need to talk to someone about my  sales income for 2018 2019 and 2020

Message 3 of 11

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "My card swiper does not work with my new note 9. Any suggestions?" The author has been notified via email.

Kj

Message 4 of 11

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is the Samsung Note 9 campatible with Square Contactless Reader

I have been using the Square Reader for a couple of years with my Samsung Galaxy phones. Now I purchased the Note 9 and would like to get the Contactless Reader but can't find anything about the compatiblility. I hope it will work. The Android version is 8.1.0, everything I read says anything higher then 5.0 will work....I will order one and see, but maybe I can get the info before I go through the hassle of returning a product which won't work.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
Admin

@kmgb I've added your post to this thread where other sellers have asked the same question. As the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 isn't listed on the Device Compatibilty website it means our Hardware team hasn't tested it yet, and we can't guarantee it will work with Square. That site is updated frequently and hopefully we can confirm that it is supported with the Contactless and Chip Card Reader soon!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 11

Best Answer

@kmgb, that's what I ended up doing and it works great. The contactless reader connected via bluetooth. However it doesn't stay charged as long as the chip card reader that plugs into your phone so be sure to keep the charging cable handy. 

Message 7 of 11

Thanks! I have ordered the reader and will see how/if it works. I do enjoy using square and hope this works. I will still have the free one which works well... we'll see. 

Message 8 of 11

Can the square be used on the samsung note 9 phone?

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

from other users reports here it does seem to work.  you can download the app for free to try.

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

@tiffanyrmh The Samsung Note 9 is not listed on our compatibility page, so we can't guarantee it to work unfortunately. 

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on the same topic. 

Message 11 of 11