x

Is there a way to change the price charge settings on the conversational modifiers?

Unless you hit 'NO' on the conversational modifiers it always charges for the other options. I don't want to charge the customer for 'SUB' and 'SIDE'. And If I take the price off the items, it won't charge for 'ADD' or 'Extra'. Is there a way to choose which ones charge and which ones don't? Or can I just not use conversational modifiers for my purpose?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Hi @babeastlansing- I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean by "conversational modifiers". Can you elaborate?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 16

Hello @nika.

Thanks for answering! Conversational modifiers is the option that adds the automatic prompt 'add/extra/sub/side/no' to a modifier on a specific item. (In POS for restaurants).

Message 3 of 16
Beta Member

Yes having the same issue!  Sub is for substitution so the customer should not be charged or else what the point of "SUB"  

Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

@maeve @kellyj  mentioning you two here to see what your take on this is.

Message 5 of 16
Admin

@EUPHORIA 

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention as well as @maeve 's. This feedback has been mentioned and considered for quite a while, and it is something the the team is working to prioritize.

Due to the current roadmaps that have been adjusted to meet businesses need, this was pushed back a bit in our plans. We're hoping to address it next year, but do not have a firm timeline on this yet. When we do, I will be sure to update this thread and you personally, we'd love to have you test it and give feedback when the time is right.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you @kellyj !

Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

Checking back on this @kellyj   our staff has been asking about it.  Right now when they SUB one thing for another the customer is charged for the item when they shouldn't be, so we have to give them a discount at the end of the sale.   If "NO" takes the price off of a modifier then it should be easy enough to have SUB do the same.

Ideally, each modifier would have different price categories attached to it.

For example, a topping like   Peporoni would have the standard item price,  an "EXTRA" price,  a "SUB" price = 0, a "NO" price = 0,  and a "SIDE" price. 

does that make sense?

Message 8 of 16

@EUPHORIA If it helps, I ended up going a different route, at least until they program this option, because that would still be easier than how I do it.

Customers modify our items so much that I found it more useful to turn all of my conversational mods off and built a *modify included ingredients* for each specific sandwich or item (this is mostly NOs, O/S, and LIGHT Options) and then built general categories that I attach to every item that can be modified (Add/Extra Meat, Sub Meat, Add/Extra Cheese, Sub Cheese, Add/Extra Veggies, Sub Veggies, etc.).

Your employees will need to know general substitution rules for your business however.

For example: If someone subs swiss cheese for american cheese on a sandwich there's no charge and they know to use the SUB mod category but if they were to sub it with cream cheese (which is much more expensive) they choose the Add/Extra mod category.

I won't lie, it takes a lot of work up front on your part, especially if you have as many options as we do but it's a mock way of having what we're talking about without having to worry about whether or not the employee discounted (or not) correctly. And it would probably be a lot faster than going into the discounts menu every time because it's right there on the item.

Obviously I don't know how your business operates or what you serve but I hope it's useful for you and your employees. If you do end up trying it out, feel free to reply with any questions you have. 🙂

Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

Thanks, @babeastlansing! Thank you for sharing!   That does sound like a lot of work!   Am I wrong to think that this is a fairly basic function that most food point of sale systems have? 

Our previous system was more than 10 yrs old and had this functionality.  Perhaps I am missing the thinking behind why Square configured the conversational modifiers in the way that they did.   @kellyj  can you shed some light on this for us?

Message 10 of 16

Has this been fixed yet? It's a problem for our Cafe too.

Message 11 of 16
Beta Member

Any update on this?

we are currently doing manual discount which is painful and sometimes servers forget so can we have this updated.

what is status on this request please? 
this is again something possible on every POS system. 

Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

I agree that this makes things a little difficult on my end. Since I run a coffee business, people like to substitute flavors. Yes, we charge when they want to add a flavor. But, when they substitute, it's a huge pain to type out a note for something that should be an easy push of a button.

I would prefer that be a hot fix soon, or at least give us the option to edit how we want to use the conversational modifiers.

Message 13 of 16

Has anyone seen any updates on this? It's a problem for us too.

Message 14 of 16
Beta Member

Hello, My business could also use access to this very basic functionality. 

Also, would be nice to be able to add modifiers to modifiers. We have a modifier to select a side for your entree, one of those options are salads, so being able to select a dressing for that would be nice. 

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @TriforksEmpire I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16