x

My Square chip doesn't read Canadian debit card.

I have charged my square tap reader. It is paired with my device. The credit card transaction works. The debit card transactions do not work. I've tried a few cards. It's not the cards.

It shows transaction canceled. There is nothing wrong with the cards.

Why is this device not accepting debit? This is in Canada. Debit payment is the reason why I bought this device.

I already had the swipe for the charge cards, so what's the point of having this device if it doesn't accept debit?

Square needs to improve this device on several levels. For it to only accept payment UNDER $100, which would be only as much as $99.99. What is the attraction then? A person would have to make several transactions, which ends up costing a fee for every transaction with the bank.  It is not pronounced that this device accepts under $100 only.

I need this resolved immediately. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

I totally agree!  I cannot record debit transactions on my reader which is the reason I bought it.

Message 2 of 11

I'm not here to complain about square and have others agree... I need a resolve. Has anyone discovered how to resolve this debit card problem on the square tap. This is rediculous. I don't have time to wait around. Their email support says they will respond in 1-3 business days. Good grief I have a business to run and need immediate assistance. Now, I'm waiting for a call back on the phone system. It's 6:30 am. There can't be a flood of people calling at this hour.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

There are a few different steps for accepting debit cards with the Interac logo via tap vs other cards.

To accept Interac Debit tap cards on Point of Sale:

• add item(s) to the sale
  • from the Point of Sale app, tap Charge
  • ask your customer to tap their Interac Debit card
  • wait for card to authorize and payment to complete

If you have tipping enabled, please note the payment flow is a little different:

• add item(s) to the sale
  • from the Point of Sale app, tap Charge, then tap Contactless
  • ask your customer to tap their Interac Debit card
  • show the tip screen to your customer, allowing them to select a tip
  • wait for card to authorize and payment to complete
Message 4 of 11

I just got the answer form customer support on the phone. Your instructions say... Press Charge ... then press Contactless... there is nowhere where it says Contactless. Doesn't make sense.

Message 5 of 11
Super Seller

Message 6 of 11

Ok. I don't have tipping set up. So that would make sense.

Message 7 of 11

Ok! I just talked to square support. I've got the resolve for this debit not working.

1.  Make sure your device is paired with your computer or phone.

2.  Make sure your device is charged or plugged.

3. Put in the amount (must be $1.00 or more) of the purchase. On the blue bar it says CHARGE with the amount. Press on that. One green light will show up on your "square tap," to show it's ready for payment.

4. On this next screen DO NOT PRESS ON on "Credit Card or Other(which takes you over to options like debit/credit, check, gift card, other)... this is where the problem was for me. I did that and it didn't work.

5. Now just tap the debit card, which should have a chip in it for tap payments. And it will accept payment.

6. After payment has gone through it will go to another screen and ask if the person wants a receit to text or email. The customer can fill one off these out.

Voila! It works.

Message 8 of 11

I have been unsuccessful by using any of the noted solutions.  I talked to the help desk (after having a hard time finding a contact number) and after walking through the process with him while using my reader, he could only deduce that I have a faulty reader.  It's curious as credit cards work fine.  I am unable to get a new reader from Square in time for a large art show coming up but I am picking one up at a local retailer and I hope that one will work.

Cheers, is yours working properly now?  I will post a note regarding whether or not my replacement reader works.

Message 9 of 11

Cheers, I know you said in your post that it is working, I meant is it continuing to work properly?

Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

What do you do if the debit card does not have tap activated? Many debit card users do not wish to have tap enabled. We end up having to send them over to an ATM to pull out cash - which is a risk that they won't come back!

James Wilkinson
Message 11 of 11