x

None of the Square Reports match each other or my Bank Statement with regard to transfers

I'm having trouble with reconciling of our monthly sales minus Square fees with the total amount transferred to our business banking account for that month.  Square offers multiple reports for export to Excel.  I'm attempting to use the Transaction Report, Sales Report, and Transfer Report for an entire month.  For each month in 2019 none of these reports are in agreement with each other as to the dollar amount for transfer, and not one of the reports matches the amount shown on my business banking statement.

I've spent a lot of time on this, and after reading some of the Transfer related threads I'm starting to suspect the Square Reports may be flawed and it's possible deposits from Square to my business banking account might have been short by two- or three-hundred dollars for nine or ten consecutive months.

For example, my Square Transfer Report for 01-30 June 2019 shows $13,593.72 was transferred after fees were subtracted.  But my bank statement shows Square transfers total $11,416.27.

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @GTMT_Guy --

We can't go into account-specific issues here in a public forum; you'll want to contact customer service to really dig into this issue.

However, I can say that I have been with Square for almost 8 years, and I have never had a transfer shorted. I don't believe Square is shorting you money simply because that's not a good way for them to stay in business. 🙂

Let's look at the transfer reports specifically, which are only available per transfer, not on a monthly basis.

Dashboard -> Balance -> Transfer Reports

What usually throws everyone for a loop: unless you changed your Close of Business time, your transfer reports will reset at 5pm PST. Any sales after that time will show up on the next day's transfer report. If you run a business that has sales after that time, it's easy to get mixed up here.

I bet if you math in sales versus transfers knowing that 5pm cutoff, your numbers will match.

Hope this helps!

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @GTMT_Guy --

We can't go into account-specific issues here in a public forum; you'll want to contact customer service to really dig into this issue.

However, I can say that I have been with Square for almost 8 years, and I have never had a transfer shorted. I don't believe Square is shorting you money simply because that's not a good way for them to stay in business. 🙂

Let's look at the transfer reports specifically, which are only available per transfer, not on a monthly basis.

Dashboard -> Balance -> Transfer Reports

What usually throws everyone for a loop: unless you changed your Close of Business time, your transfer reports will reset at 5pm PST. Any sales after that time will show up on the next day's transfer report. If you run a business that has sales after that time, it's easy to get mixed up here.

I bet if you math in sales versus transfers knowing that 5pm cutoff, your numbers will match.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 21

Hello @ryanwanner,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my issue. And thanks also for being willing to provide wisdom and guidance to a new guy.

I figured-out my problem yesterday. Then I took time to enter a comment describing the solution, thanking you for your response, and then describing a separate but related question.
And then I hit the 'Post' button and the Seller's Forum replied "Sorry. Something went wrong." Of course I lost everything I'd been working on for the previous 30 to 40 minutes. That's when I stopped for the day. Today I'm typing this in Notepad. I'll copy/paste when I'm done. Lesson learned.

The issue I described [about the Monthly Sales Summary Reports, Monthly Transaction Reports, and Monthly Deposit Reports showing differing dollar amounts and none of them matching any of my end-of-month bank statements with regard to showing the dollar value that was actually deposited] comes down to my complete lack of awareness that Square charges a higher percentage of the payment for our clients who book an appointment and pay on-line via our appointment scheduling app, Acuity, than the normal fee for clients who pay at our reception counter via our Square card-reader (2.9% on-line vs 2.75% at our counter).

I was reading an article in the Square Support Center called "Learn About Square's Fees - Square’s Fees by Payment Type" when I realized a large percentage of the payments I had assumed were handled by Square at the regular 2.75% fee, had in-fact been processed at 2.9% as "Square eCommerce API" payment type.
Also, it's not enough to have a solid grasp of rounding. It's necessary to be familiar with Square's method of rounding. Again, there's a Support Center article for that called "Understanding Fee Rounding" which also discusses "Banker's Rounding."

I'm going back through all of our Square deposits for 2019 again - starting with January. It's very slow going. Because as you mentioned, the deposits are grouped into batches of payments. But I'm already seeing deposits from Square that match dollar amounts on the bank statement.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Let's look at the deposit reports specifically, which are only available per deposit, not on a monthly basis."

The date-selector tool allows for exporting Deposit Details Reports for a single month. The user just needs to be aware that payment accepted after 5:00 PM on 29 June (for example) and set to "Next Business Day" will be probably not appear on the bank statement until 1 or 2 July.

The other part of the issue I originally described is that none of the reports were in agreement as far as dollar amounts.
I realize now that none of the reports details the entire process from Accepting a Payment, Subtracting Fees, and Depositing into a bank account. Each of the reports provides details on a segment of the whole process.

• The Sales Summary Report is a big-picture look, and shows Gross Sales, Net Sales, Tips, Taxes and Fees without a lot of detail.
  • The Transaction Report shows many details for each individual payment received, and also shows Square Fees applied to that transaction - typically 2.75% in my situation, but can vary with payment type.
  • The Deposit Details Report shows the Payments and Deposits Payment amount and date received, the Square fee again, and also the Instant Deposit Fee and Square Capital Payments subtracted from the payment, if applicable. (I've found this report to be the most helpful as almost every one of the individual components is included: Amount Collected, Fees applied, Date of Payment, Date of Deposit. Items NOT shown include tips and taxes).

When any of the individual deposit rows shown on the screen at Dashboard -> Deposits -> Deposit Reports is clicked, another report is shown 'Deposit Transaction Details.' This report has most of the same details as the Transaction Report, and shows details of each of the transactions included in that particular deposit.

Interestingly, the Deposit Transaction Details window has TWO buttons near the top, both labeled 'Export Transactions' - one on the left and one on the right. As best I can tell, both buttons export identical sets of deposit transaction details.

Do you have any insight as to why there are two apparently identical buttons shown on that screen?

Once again, thank you for your assistance. I'll be sure to post here again the next time I come up against a brick wall.

Message 3 of 21

Transfer does not match transactions and no other transfers have been made to make up difference.

Message 4 of 21
Alumni

@aallen - I think I know what's going on. Sales grouped for a transfer cuts off at a specific time (5pm PT by default). Say you take payments after that cut off time, they'll still be posted in today's sales reports but will be grouped in tmrrw's Transfer reports. 

This article explains more in detail. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 21

No, not so with my stuff. I close at 4pm daily. I am open on Sundays so those sales might come in on Monday as cut off. But I have seen this issue since 2017 when I started using it and they will not address it when i call. They dont look at what I tell them or say they will get back to me and they dont. 

A lot of money has not been deposited, going to need an audit.

Message 6 of 21
Beta Member

This is a major issue with my accounting. I have double checked to make sure that none of the transactions were included in a transfer on a different day, and these numbers still do not match. These two numbers consistently do not match across many different days, not just one occurrence.

HELP! 

Message 7 of 21
Alumni

@shamza001 Since your issue is specific to your account, it's best to reach out to our CS Team so they can make sense of your reports. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 21

yes the same with me since 2017 they wont talk to me about it. If there is a statute of limitations on how long you have to complain I dont know but I have lost a lot and I am a nonprofit. I am going to change processors again.

Message 9 of 21
Super Seller

@vidalrosev2007 I wish we could get deep into your account in a public forum, but it’s not a good idea. I can tell you that Square isn’t going to deliberately misreport figures. That doesn’t lead to a company that people will want to work with. 

The biggest reminder I can offer is that Square transfers money from sales for the day before 5:00pm PST. So if you have a sale at 5:01 today, the money will not be in todays transfer but it will be reported in todays sales figures. The money will be added to tomorrows transfer. 

When you say you’ve lost a lot, are you talking perceived sales? If you pull a report that is from 5:00pm-5:00pm and then try to match it with the transfer, do numbers match then? If not, then there may be something off and I recommend traveling down the dark and dreary Cust Service path again. Just keep pounding them until you find one that actually understands what you’re asking. 

The end of day took me forever to wrap my head around, so I understand your frustration. One other recommendation would be to look at a Square Card. That way the end of day issue goes away since your balance is held on that debit card instead of transferring to a bank. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 10 of 21

ok, that is an idea I dont use the card but i could try it for a few months to see what happens.

I had this same issue with another company too an dI left them as well. I think this is going on in all of them and they cover it up with the "batch" processing or the after 5 sales story. It was happening since i started using it I did not catch it earlier because I am a one person operation. Accountant would not have time and would charge more to look into it. But I will look into it I am not the only one who caught the issue.

Message 11 of 21
Super Seller

@vidalrosev2007 I guess I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head around where exactly you’re having the problems, but I know that I can’t get too much deeper than where we’re at now since we don’t want to share confidential info in a public forum. I will agree with what @Candlestore brought up too: even nonprofits will have to pay fees to processors for service.

So Gross CC Sales less discounts plus tips (if applicable) less Square’s fees should equal a number that matches what is sent to your bank. This has happened for me since day 1, and my first swipe on a Square device was in 2011. 
you can check what your current swipe rate is on your dashboard at Account & Settings -> Business Information -> Pricing & Subscriptions. 

You mentioned in another post here you were short by $75 in January. That sounds suspiciously like a subscription addon that Square is charging you for. Check that Pricing & Subscriptions page to see what additional things you may be paying for. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 12 of 21

I did not subscribe to anything so there should be no charges, the transactions listed on my Ipad and on their reports do not match and am short 75.00. I have had this issue since 2017 when i joined but i got nowhere with support I will not let it go this time and might reach out to a lawyer about it since it has not stopped. I like the ease of the service but if my money is not deposited it is mute.

Message 13 of 21
Super Seller

@vidalrosev2007ok. 

We’re trying to give you ideas to help fix this, but I feel like we’re getting stonewalled. Have you checked all the options @Candlestore and I have given you? Have you verified you’re running the latest version of the software and you operating systems on your devices? If there is an issue that you can fully document then feel free to pursue whatever action you desire. And I’m saying that as a fellow merchant with no direct connection to Square short of being in the super seller program. 

I can tell you that I have only had one discrepancy in my 12 years on the Square platform and that was easily explained due to a math issue on my part. Money is obviously an issue with every merchant on this platform, and with tens of thousands of merchants using these services daily, I have a hard time believing Square is doing anything nefarious, and if they are, I have an even harder time believing you’re the only one who has found these problems. 

[edited to add] I will throw one more bone your way. Make sure you're looking at all the sales on your tablet: on the reports screen, tap on the date at the top, then make sure Filter by device is set to All Devices and Filter by Team Member is set to All Team Members.

After this check, there's not much else we can do in a public forum.

I wish you the best.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 14 of 21
Super Seller

Other people have mentioned numbers not matching but, in the end it was something they were not doing or missed something.  But you do not reply or show which reports are not matching. You just Say the same thing the reports do not match, the gross sales do not match.  Which reports Mondays to Tuesdays?  They shouldn't match.  As I said before, Square has a lot of reports and its easy to miss something.  Like having Different Dates, Different Devices, etc are you comparing Apples to Oranges???  Before reaching out to a lawyer, I recommend seeing a CPA, they can most likely show you the numbers do match. But I am done replying to My numbers do not match with out anymore new information.  Good luck with your choices, and please let the community know how it went for you and the Validation of your Gross Numbers of the reports.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 15 of 21

HI, I caught on to this in 2019 or so and i have used them since 2017.

None of the emailed or printed reports match each other and they dont match

my deposits either are always short. This month Jan 2023 it is short by $75 dollars.

I left them a few months back and came back but am going to contact a lawyer about

this as they do not give me an answer when I call. There is going to be a class action be

cause there must be thousands that are having this issue. I suggest you see a lawyer 

too and have them audit the past few years. I am a small nonprofit so i keep real good track of our income and outgoing, and square has been really back about not depositing the full about of the sales. Even the tablet amounts dont match the reports.

Message 16 of 21
Super Seller

@vidalrosev2007 ;

I have been with Square since 2019, and all my numbers match.  What reports are you looking at? Do you download the Transactions Detail csv file which shows the Fees Square charges?  I use automated procedures to import my Sales from Square into QuickBooks, it imports the Taxes and the Fees also.  When I Import my Banking statements into QuickBooks, everything works out to the penny.  Square has a bunch of reports and your not giving much information except the Reports don't match.  Here is a 20 min video that I went slowly through which shows how I import my sales to QuickBooks Desktop.  If you watch my almost 20 min video to about 8 min you will see how I import my Daily Sales, and then Import my bank feed and my Square Checking account Balance goes to $0.00.  Why does it go to $0.00 as explained in the video, I made a "Holding" Bank account represented of Square getting the Credit Card Sales before sending it to me.  In my Ledgers I have each Transaction listed with Taxes and Fees.  The net amount, the amount Square owes me, is deposited into this Holding account.  Then when My Bank gets the $$, the money is transferred from the Holding account to my actual business account.  As you can see in the Video my Square account goes to $0.00 as it should after I have my bank statement imported to the checking account.  

I could be wrong but I think you might be forgetting to deduct Squares Fees from what should be deposited to your Bank Account.  Even as a nonprofit you still have to pay businesses for their services.  

Here is my video:

https://youtu.be/HtyzAcSR5Ao 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 17 of 21
Super Seller

UPDATE to this:

I just found out you can create a Custom Report for Sales Summary for this Month.

When you run the report then Choose Daily at the top of the page in the Grey tab Drop Downs instead of SUMMARY.  You get a nice Spreadsheet view online, BUT you can Export this Report as is.  Meaning it will show each Days Totals!!

Not sure why no one from Square has corrected any of us before !!!

Below is my 1st column from January 1st , 2023.   We were closed that is why it is all $0.00, and why I chose that day post here.

Key Stats 
Filtered By Location: Pocono Candle
Sales0
Avg. Gross Sale$0.00
Gross Sales$0.00
Total Collected$0.00
Sales Summary 
Filtered By Interval: Daily
Sales1/1/2023
Gross Sales$0.00
Returns$0.00
Discounts & Comps$0.00
Net Sales$0.00
Gift Card Sales$0.00
Tax$0.00
Tip$0.00
Refunds by Amount$0.00
Total$0.00

Payments 
Total Collected$0.00
Fees$0.00
Net Total$0.00

Key Stats 
Sales0
Avg. Gross Sale$0.00
Gross Sales$0.00
Total Collected$0.00

Under payments above, Net Total should be Equal to your Deposit unless you have a Square loan.  Then you would need to deduct your Square Loan payment also.  I am not sure if we can add that on to this Custom Report or to the Export since I just found a way to get this.  But from what I am seeing, I do not see away to add Square Loan Payment to be subtracted from the Deposit or Net Income total.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 18 of 21
Super Seller

@CandlestoreI stumbled upon that report a few months ago, but at that time it wouldn't show all the days of the month on screen but would in the CSV. Glad to see that this has been fixed!

@vidalrosev2007I think this report would definitely help you out, but you'll still run into the end of day issue we were discussing in another part of this thread. You can finagle the times on this report to run 5pm-5pm to ease in deposit reconciliation though.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 19 of 21
Super Seller

@ryanwanner ;

At the bottom of the Screen there is a slider to scroll to the right more, and up and down if needed.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 20 of 21
Super Seller

@Candlestore Right. Last time I looked at the daily report for an entire month it only went to the 14th of the month on screen but the csv showed every day 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 21 of 21