x
Super Seller Alumni

Omnidirectional Barcode Scanner

I want to use an Omnidirectional Barcode Scanner with my Square Stand.  They REALLY speed things up during checkout.

I have two that I used with a previous POS system.  One of them works with the square stand, but the other does not.  Interestingly, they are nearly identical - they're both Symbol LS9208

Model Numbers:

LS9208-SR10001NSWR (works!)

LS9208-SR11007NSWR (doesn't work)

Anyone have luck with any newer models?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Admin

Hi @sciabica1936, thanks for sharing!

While we do not officially support either of these bar code scanners, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a solution that works well for your setup. 🙂

For anyone else who is considering a new bar code scanner purchase, have a look at our Support Center for the most up-to-date list of officially supported hardware for Square Stand and Android devices. 👍

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks Tom,

FYI, "free standing" omnidirectional barcode scanners speed things WAY up in our gift shop.  They work like the scanners in a grocery store.  Simply slide the item past the scanner!

It would be nice to know if some of the newer models worked.  Like this one: http://amzn.to/2g5ycIk

I suggest that Square adds at least one of these types of scanners to the supported list 🙂

Message 3 of 18
Admin

Copy that, @sciabica1936. Thank you so much for taking the time to point out specifics and how this type of scanner would speed things up. I'll be sure to pass this along, and please don't hesitate to bring anything else up!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 18

Took a gamble and bought a DS9208 to see if it'd work with the Square Stand ... and it does! 🙂 Hopefully this helps anyone looking for unofficially compatible omnidirectional scanners.

Message 5 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

@leocho That's great to hear!

@Tom Can you please suggest to the development team that an Omnidirectional Scanner like the DS9208 be added to the supported list?  I live in fear that a Square Register update will be released and my scanners will no longer work!

Especially with your new Square Retail app, you need to include at least one Omni Scanner.

Message 6 of 18
Admin

Hey @leocho and @sciabica1936, thank you for sharing. I'm really glad to hear that this scanner is working out for you! 🙌

I will certainly flag this with the appropriate team members and be sure to point out that the Motorola DS9208 scanner is critical for your business needs. Please don't hesitate to ping this thread if anything else comes up. 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Message 7 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

@Tom I am adding some additional square stands to my gift shop and need to order more omni-directional barcode scanners.  Any updates on this issue?

Message 8 of 18
Alumni

@sciabica1936, Tom and I are following up with our hardware team to see if there's an update here. Thanks for your patience while I wait to hear back from them! 

Message 9 of 18
Admin

Hey @sciabica1936, we received an update from our hardware team. They are reviewing this request along with adding support for other third party accessories. I realize this is still vague—we will circle back as soon as we have more clarity or more details on any decisions made.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 10 of 18
Super Seller

Did you purchase any additional scanners?  What models and did they work?

Message 11 of 18
Super Seller

I would be very interested in a omni directional barcode scanner. We are currently using the LS hand held scanner, but I have not come up with what I feel is a good work flow with the stand.

Message 12 of 18
Admin

Thanks for checking in, @MichiganFarmsta. I just touched base with our Hardware folks for this request. There still isn't a specific timeline available for when we'll be able to support omnidirectional scanners—though this is on their radar. Appreciate your patience as we continue to expand support for more devices.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 13 of 18
Super Seller

I purchased a Zebra  DS9208 from Amazon for use with my Square Register.  It hooked up and worked no problem.  The employees much prefer it to the Symbol LS2208 hand gun barcode scanner.  It does a much batter job reading barcodes and speeds up the work flow drastically! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C65YOE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=120190509_153613.jpg

Message 14 of 18
Beta Member

Hi

Strange really as the 

LS9208-SR11007NSWR

Works, if your hub is connected to the terminal but when i tried against the stand. Its not recognised. 

I agree though, omnidirectional scanners are much quicker than a single line. Im surprised more square customers haven't mentioned this before. Im now deciding what to do myself.

Can anyone else confirm if the ds9208 works? 

Thanks

Message 15 of 18

Hey Tom 

Any update on this?

Thanks

Sarah

Message 16 of 18

Hi, is there any update on this? An omnidirectional scanner like the Symbol DS9208 is very important for most retail businesses.

I was able to get it to work with a square stand, however am concerned it is not considered a supported barcode scanner.

This should be a top priority as most retail businesses in our industry would want this for sure.

Also, the previous pos app we used was compatible with Symbol ds9208 and other usb scanners via the McPrint3 printer. So it did not require a hub like the terminal or stand require. This functionality should be added because currently the ipad ios app without the stand can only connect to socketmobile via bluetooth. 

Message 17 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Route30

I don't have a current update on this feature request. I would recommend posting this on our Ideate Board, so it can be evaluated by our Product Team. 

Also, other sellers can add their voice & our Community Moderators will update the status on your post to keep you in the loop. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 18