x

Online Checkout with QR code - tax not showing up

I'm setting up QR codes for my art pieces that will hang at a B&B for guests to self-checkout.  I think I've got everything figured out.  Printed out codes and tested them with my phone.  I "pretended" to check out - everything looks ok, except the sales tax still says 0%.  I double-checked and I DID set it up on each item to add my state's sales tax.  What am I doing wrong?

Sales tax shows up correctly when I'm vending and use my square point of sale.

Thanks y'all

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Hi @Adornments.  One thing to check that might be the culprit.

From your dashboard, go to Online -> Settings -> Sales Taxes.  My guess is that there are no Order level tax rates at the top, in which case you’ll need to click on the Add tax rate button and set them up.  Also, check the other tax settings on this page to be sure they are correct for your state/locality.

Let me know if that isn’t the issue either, and we can dig further.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 9

Hello.  Thanks for responding.

I think I just made my problem worse.  You were right...tax not set up on the order lever (whatever that means).   I imported all my painstainkingly-created (unique) items from the item library.  I made sure there was a stock of ONE for each item.   But now, 

all the QR codes I created link to the paintings and say OUT OF STOCK.  So I can't check to see if the sales tax is working.

I don't need an on line store.  I just need qr codes to link to a finite number of unique paintings so people can pay for them. I'll try again tomorrow.  All help appreciated.

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

Ok. I’m going to call Uncle here. What you did seems totally correct to me. EXCEPT you DO need an online store (even a free one) to sell via QR code. So…. I might have helped you temporarily make it worse too by assuming you had an online store. If so I’m sorry. 

I’m going to recommend that tomorrow you call Square Customer Success on the phone. Explain what you did according to my suggestions.  They should be able to sort it out for you. If not, let me know. We will dig deeper. 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 4 of 9
Super Seller

Trust me, @Adornments, we will resolve this. It just might take a few more exchanges here. You’re close. So close. I’m heading up bed now. It’s 10:30 pm EST USA. Message me with your progress. I’ll reply when I wake up. I doubt it will take more than tomorrow to figure out. 

Chip

Website
Facebook

जो है सो है
Message 5 of 9

appreciate you helping me out.  Still slugging here.  So I set up a simple site (which I didnt want), to see if that fixes things. I published it.  Tried to use qr codes again - same problem.  Say out of stock even though stock says "1 on hand."  Somewhere on the site, I checked a button for "item sales tax overrides ....."  don't ask me where that was...but I figured if sales tax is correct on each item...that would be a good thing.

I UN-published the site.  I really don't want it....REALLY.  I already have a full website elsewhere

What I read in the instructions is that you CAN create QR codes for items in your library and publish them on social media or own your own website or print them out...and all customers do is scan and pay.  SIMPLE that's all I want.  

I had been successful in doing that WITHOUT a site.  The only thing that was missing was sales tax.  when I tested the QR codes on my phone I was taken to payment and where I would have entered a credit card number, so...seemed to be all fine.

Now if I remove items from the site, it'll remove them from the library.  (I exported just in case).

I need to be up and running by the end of tomorrow...and can't work on it in the morning.  😞

Here's what I need to do.

Remove all items from "online site"  

Reupload them to item library WITHOUT syncing back to site

If sales tax issue cannot be resolved  I'll just have to do a workaround like show one price on tag then when customers use qr code, they'll get an amount that includes tax.

It's after midnight and I need to be hanging art by 8 😕

Message 6 of 9

You do NOT need an online store to sell with QR codes.  Creating simple checkout links is what I need to do.  I had done it on 34 items now can't get them to work.  trying to call cs 

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller

I certainly hope that have been able to help you.  It sounds like you started doing things to your item library that hopefully don’t mess you up further.  I’m not sure I understand exactly what you were doing with the item library, so am glad you exported it first.  Good move. Fingers crossed they work it out for you.

Oh, I’m definitely sorry to have started you down the path of needing an online store for QR codes. I misunderstood something I read in another thread.  But publishing even a free one to a square.site URL shouldn’t mess things up, even if you didn’t unpublished it.

Chip

Website
Facebook

जो है सो है
Message 8 of 9

Did you get it to work the way you wanted?  I want to do the same thing -- sell with QR codes but not using an online store.

Message 9 of 9