x

Turn off address verification requirement even for street addresses

Hi, I have some older clients that try to order off of my website. The address verification that they have to select from the drop down menu is VERY VERY NOT obvious to them. I constantly have to field questions about why they can't place an order, and I've traced it back to them not selecting their address from the drop down menu. It's street addresses, not PO boxes. I AM LOSING SALES. How do I turn off the address verification where someone has to select their address from the list? It is not obvious to my older clients and sometimes my younger clients either that it's required to select from the list in order to properly populate the address so that the order can be replaced. I just want my clients to be able to free type their address into the appropriate fields Address/City/State/Zip. Please help. I'm so beyond frustrated with this "feature."

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

@KatSHF ;

You can not turn off address verification.  Square uses the CC information along with the zip code of the person buying items online to verify the owner of the card is making the purchase.  I have been on the opposite end of this as I have my Address and My business address.... sometimes I give the wrong zip code and get denied.  Found out the CC Billing address zip code is what is required and I had some cards to one zip code and others to a different zip code.  Once I sent all cc from the bank to the one address it was fixed.  The businesses I was paying with CC did not use Square so it is just not a Square thing.   You may have to look at your website and see how to make it easier for customers to have this information filled out so it is less confusing for them.   I do not use Square for my website but on my site we have your Billing address and a Ship To address people can fill out.   They have to check a box to define if the Billing and Ship to are the same.  Every once and awhile I get a call or email asking if the address can be changed for the Ship To because they selected the Same box and wanted to go to a family member for a gift. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 8

That sounds like exactly what I want. I don't mind separate fields for them to put in shipping and billing or to check a box. I just want people to be able to type it in. But as is, there aren't fields for city/state/zip because the customer must use a drop down menu to find their address AND then click on it to populate the address, but there's no instruction that says to do so. So if I'm lucky, I get an email and then have to step people through this which isn't intuitive at all for those who have already had trouble. 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @KatSHF 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our checkout flow. The team is aware of these inconveniences and they are working to optimize the checkout experience in Square Online.  Stay tuned for updates on this soon. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

Thank you for letting me know. Are there any temporary fixes that could be applied through any currently available options? It's unfortunately more than an inconvenience when I'm losing sales and have frustrated customers asking why my website is so difficult to use.

Message 5 of 8

What I've seen other sellers do is place instructions on their website to select "manual address" if the automatic address selector doesn't recognize their address. This Address auto complete uses a combination of USPS and Google Maps to make sure addresses are correct. However, I have to admit that sometimes there are addresses like PO BOXes that don't meet these requirements. 

I hope this information is helpful! @KatSHF 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

Second this feature request to turn off automatic address verification. I live in a rural area and half of my staff live in houses with no address. I need help to get past this unnecessary requirement of your system. 

Message 7 of 8

Thank you for adding your vote to this feature request, @hikeikimuseum. We're continuing to pass this feedback on to our team for consideration. 

Message 8 of 8