x

Scanning price-embedded barcodes

In our market, we have a Hobart scale that prints barcodes with the price embedded.  We set the price per pound in that scale, and then as we weigh items (produce, meat, prepared foods, etc), it prints the barcode with the SKU and price together.  Our current POS system has the ability to scan that barcode and determine the SKU and then the price.  Is there a way currently, or is Square working on an update, to be able to do this?  I use Square in one of my businesses, and would be glad to switch over to Square across the board if this feature could be implemented.  I know there are work arounds using variable pricing and manually entering prices, but since we have the ability to create a barcode, I would really rather use that.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

I wish. I'm pretty sure there would have to be a custom modification to Square itself in order to read any barcode symbology as something other than a general SKU digit. We have to do this all the time, but instead, we print barcodes w/ a blank price block which we have to weigh and handwrite an individual price for each unit (which is set up as a variably priced item). It slows things down quite a bit. Price-embedded barcodes would be a welcomed feature to us for sure. But I doubt it will be something that is rolled out anytime soon. You'd probably have to use a more traditional POS hardware/software setup to do something like that... But it would come with a hefty price tag. 

Message 2 of 2