x

Square POS Network Setup - Can I ???

I have 3 square stands Generation One with iPad 6 9.7" and 3 Star TSP100 Printers.  All share same Wifi Network, T-Mobile 5G Home Internet.  Each printer is connected via USB to a square stand, but the square stands are networked wirelessly.  The set up I'm looking for is two square stands in seating area, one at a wait station, one at the cash register; 3rd square stand in Kitchen.

I'd like orders to be taken at the two square stands in dining room, kitchen tickets automatically print in kitchen.  I'd also like wait staff to take order at table using tablet only and have that ticket print in kitchen.  If an online order comes in (using Square Online Orders) I want that ticket to print automatically also.  If person adds onto their order (extra coffee or adds desert) I'd like to be able to add onto their order and have that ticket print automatically in kitchen.  I'd like kitchen to be able to re-print a kitchen ticket if needed.

When person is ready to pay..  I'd like them to be able to come up to the cash register, bring the order up on that square, have them pay and print a receipt.  When the online order person comes in, I'd like to be able to bring up the order and confirm items on order.  I'd like to be able to take tablet to table, have them pay in the tablet (square reader); no receipt printing is needed from tablet.

Can this be done ?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Hello @dcseats !

Wow, lots to break down here! Cool!

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. Your setup will work fine except for one thing: USB connected printers are only available to the stand it is connected to. So you won't be able to send orders to the individual stations. The only printers that can be seen by multiple stands are ethernet or wifi printers. This will be your only downfall to your plan, everything else can be accomplished easily.

For the rest of my response, I'm going under the assumption you've updated your printers to be seen by every device.

If you're using the Square Point of Sale:

Getting specific categories to print to specific printers is just the matter of setting up correct printer stations and assigning the right categories to it. This will work for your dining room tablets, server tablet, kitchen tablet, and cashier tablet.

For Square Online Orders, I recommend making one of the tablets (probably the cashier one) as the designated online order terminal. When you're in the printer stations, there is a configuration for online order tickets. In there, choose to Automatically Print the tickets, and assign the categories as needed. All online orders will print without your intervention after that. Word of advice: don't have multiple tablets set to Auto Accept online orders: you will get multiple tickets for the same order.

For adding onto the order and having the cust come to the register to pay, you'll need to enable Open Tickets. Instead of closing out every ticket as it's created, you can choose to save the ticket under a specific name. Within 1-2 seconds of saving that ticket will be available to every square device that's logged into your location. Adding items onto the order is simply the matter of reopening the ticket, adding the item, then hitting save. Only the new items will print. Closing the order is just as easy: open ticket, tap charge, tap tender type. You can do this at any tablet that sees the ticket.

If you're using Square for Restaurants, things will be a little different. That's not a product I'm overly familiar with, though, so if you are let me know and I can get some other Super Sellers involved.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2