x

Square Product Roadmap

Does Square share their Product Roadmap with their users? Many software vendors share upcoming product enhancements with their clients, so we are aware of what new features and enhancements are being worked on. Also, these roadmap sessions allow us, as the paying customers of the software, to weigh in on features we would like to see in the product.

After using this forum for the past year, I see mention of such a roadmap in response to user queries by the Support personnel that monitor this forum, but I can't find anything that actually links to it. There are features I seen multiple customers ask for (and have been asking for a while), yet we have no idea whether these ideas are even remotely being considered as product enhancements.

If there is a product roadmap/enhancements forum for such interaction with your customers, will you please share it as I feel it would be very worthwhile for all involved. Thank you... 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

currently, there is not a public roadmap.   It would be nice but one thing other apps and programs that I have used over the last 30 years have stated they don't like about roadmaps is that people see a feature on the roadmap and think it will be here tomorrow but in fact maybe 2 years down the line, or that it is a current feature.  

I too think it would be great but that isn't an option right now.

Message 2 of 8

@VanKalkerFarms: Thank you for the reply. I was hoping to actually get some feeback on this topic from Square support...but I can see that was probably just wishful thinking.

Roadmaps are just that:  plans for what's ahead. A vendor saying that sharing a roadmap of planned product enhancements is confusing to customers smells more like a copout and seems like a disservice to the users (whom are the ones hopefully driving a large portion of the planned enhancements). Vendor roadmaps from software providers usually have rough timelines for the future deliveries, so there shouldn't be any confusion about the fact we're talking about items yet to be delivered (but at least we can see they will be delivered at some point).

I have found many limitations with the Square product in the year I've been using it...and their reticence to share planned product improvements just helps to solidify that they may not be the best POS solution for our business over the long haul. But hey, maybe they'll surprise us at some point...

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Hi @Wine_Master - Kelly here from Square. Thanks for your post, you're definitely not the first one to have requested a full product roadmap be shared publicly. As @VanKalkerFarms mentioned, one of the reasons we don't currently do that is because as priorities change, plans and timelines change as well, and we don't want to have "promised" something only to have to go back on that later. 

That being said, this forum acts as a place to voice your opinions about what features are missing or not working as expected for you. Though I can't guarantee that we will give you a timeline in response, the Seller Community is a great place to post where we're missing the mark to help hold us accountable. It's also why we have the ability for members here to "like" other posts - so that you can weigh in on what others have posted in support of their comments. Please feel free to start new threads for each of your feature requests or ideas. You may also be interested in subscribing to our Product Updates if you haven't already - that's where we announce major launches and feature updates. 

Thanks again for your post, and for letting me know what you'd like to see more of in the Community and with Square in general. 

Message 4 of 8

@Kpay: I do post new threads and reply to other threads that are applicable, hence the question on a roadmap to see if any of the ideas proposed in the threads are even remotely considered by Square.

Product Update page is fine...but it seems to only announce features as they come out and are available. It would be nice to see some things Square is actually working on, too. I completely understand that not every idea comes to fruition, but I'm sure you have enough enhancements on track or almost ready for Beta that you know will be added that are probably safe to share. It's not a full roadmap, but better than nothing. Kind of like when you're hungry, even some crumbs are welcome, right?

You may also find sharing this info may help retain some customers since if they see a desired feature is at least in the works they may not drop Square for a competitor's service that does offer what they want. 

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

@Wine_Master, true - I see what you mean about Product Updates. It doesn't satisfy the need to see know which things are coming out soon. I'm working on a way to more clearly give some updates like the type you're talking about - to show whether or not specific ideas are "in progress" vs. still being considered. It's going to take some time and is not going to be a complete roadmap, but I think will be a step in the right direction. Thanks again for your comments and feedback; it's helpful for me to know how important this is as we make changes here in the community and at the company generally. 

Message 6 of 8

@Kpay: I have a feeling any additional info you provide will be appreciated by the users. Thank you for the consideration.

Message 7 of 8
Super Seller

Hi @Kpay 

Did anything come of this?

Alex

Alex Jessey
Message 8 of 8