x

Square for Retail: Sort order when printing labels by category

Are our items sorted in any way when priting labels in bulk? They seem to have no sort order at all and are just random which really slows down our labeling team. We already sort by category which helps a little.

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Trish_Yarn, Helen here jumping in for Tom.

With Square Retail, bar code labels are printed in the order that you add the category (or product or purchase order) to the list of items to print. So if you have a lot of labels to print you could print one category at a time, rather than selecting many categories at once. You could also make a note of the order that you added each category to the list. 

I definitely agree that it would help if the items were arranged in alphabetical order or if there was a way to indicate the end of one category and the start of another when printing labels in bulk.

I'll share your feedback with the Retail team and hopefully this is something they can work to improve soon. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Alumni

Hi @pbreit - Where are you printing your labels from (Square POS, Retail, etc)? Wanted to double check so we can give you an accurate answer! 

Message 2 of 15

Printing from a login to the squareup.com website. Is that "Retail"?

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Thanks for circling back, @pbreit. It sounds like you're set up with Square for Retail. I don't have the answer on hand, but I'm going to run your post by that team. We'll circle back as soon as we have more clarity. Appreciate your patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

Did you ever find the answer to this? I can't discern any particular rule about the order in which labels are generated, which makes processing a large amount of inventory a frustrating and inefficient process.

Message 5 of 15
Beta Member

PS I meant to tag @Tom !

Message 6 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Trish_Yarn, Helen here jumping in for Tom.

With Square Retail, bar code labels are printed in the order that you add the category (or product or purchase order) to the list of items to print. So if you have a lot of labels to print you could print one category at a time, rather than selecting many categories at once. You could also make a note of the order that you added each category to the list. 

I definitely agree that it would help if the items were arranged in alphabetical order or if there was a way to indicate the end of one category and the start of another when printing labels in bulk.

I'll share your feedback with the Retail team and hopefully this is something they can work to improve soon. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

Thanks for following up, @Helen! I have lots of thoughts about label generating -- it would be nice to have more options for choosing which labels to print (more than just by Category or Purchase Order) -- by Vendor, for example. And I'd definitely like to be able to sort by SKU or any other category. But it's helpful to know what's happening now. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 15
Admin

You're welcome — and oh yes please do contribute any other suggestions as they come up for the order you'd like the labels to be printed. We'll surface these suggested to the Retail team! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 15

I Agree about by more options for choosing which labels to print by Vendor or by recently imported items would be great. 

I use the item Template upload alot and these two choices make it very time consuming to print the labels. where it could take 5 minutes if you had recently imported option-it can take over an hour if you have 50 or so items that are all under various categories.

Also, I can delegate printing of items to another team member if the AVERY 1X 1 labels were an option. They can print from their printer vs all the labels having to come from the one DYMO printer. 

Message 10 of 15

how to print one sku at the time

Message 11 of 15

Hello! Is there a way to print labels in the order that they are created? I run a vintage store, so everything needs to be individually priced/labeled within a category. While its nice to batch print all of my vintage denim labels at once- everything is alphabetized in Square while my denim in store is not. I just printed 50+ labels and now I have to re-sort this mound of denim to match the correct label to correct pair of pants. Help!

Message 12 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hello @BlackRabbitSTL, we see its your first post in the Seller Community welcome!

Did you by chance get to glance at @Helen's response to this?

Looking forward to reading your response 😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 15

Hi @Frida, I did. I am asking if there is a way within the category. If I am individually inventorying a stack of denim all under the category of "Denim," it alphabetizes it all within the category. I want to know if I can have things print within a category non-alphabetically. I really don't want to have to physically alphabetize 50+ pairs of denim just because my labels can't be printed in order created. Is there a way to do this? Thank you.

Message 14 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi BlackRabbitSTL,

Thanks for clearing that up 😊. Currently this is not a function that can be altered at the moment.

Its a great idea though! Have you considered joining theBETA seller community?  Your insightful ideas would be a great contribution!

Let me know what you think...

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 15