x

What exactly makes the iPad air2 non-compatible with the square stand made for the iPad Air?

What exactly makes the iPad air2 non-compatible with the square stand made for the iPad Air? Is it the fit of the stand, iOS compatibility, or the hardware connectivity?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

I don't know.  The iPad Air 2 is .05" thinner than the Air but it has the same connection port placement etc.  It just doesn't work for whatever reason Square decided.  I bought one on last year after droping an Air and the iPad just doesn't connect to the stand in software.  

Maybe there is some reason but if it is just the difference of 1/20th of an inch  in thickness it sure seem like a tiny shim in the stand behind the iPad would sequre the strees it might make on the connection.

Message 2 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

It really doesn't work?!

i was just aboutto buy one.  Good thing i looked here. It's a bummer because the iPad Air 2 is a lot faster in my experience.

what about iPad Pro 9.7?

it would also be nice to have a stand for the mini

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

Hi there @sciabica1936 @dabiekr1 and @VanKalkerFarms, the Square stand only officially works with the iPad Air.

I have heard from a few sellers that they were able to use the stand with the iPad Pro 9.7, though it isn't officially supported. @Saul, do you have experience with the stand and the iPad Pro 9.7? 

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for the reply.  Can you confirm that an updated Square Stand is in the works?  Soon it's going to be hard to find a new iPad Air 1.  If so, it would be sweet to have these features:

1) A power button or hole to access the iPad's power button with a paper clip.

2) Integrated chip reader & Apple Pay

Message 5 of 11
Square

@sciabica1936 - While we can't speak to future product releases, we do currently have the option to buy an iPad during check out - so we should have you covered for future availability. As for your feature requests, they sound like great additions. I'll be sure to pass them along to our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 11

Here is the final outcome. I purchased the iPad Air 2, square stand for iPad Air, TPS 100 printer and the Vasario APG 1616 cash drawer. I placed a 6 inch x 6 inch paper napkin behind the iPad air2 and plugged it into the stand and the secure hole lined up perfectly, so I installed the secure screw. Powered up all components and opened up the square app and tested all components. The iPad Air fit perfectly with the napkin behind it and all components worked perfectly as well. I tested the software, OS, hardware and found no problems. I made charges and the money goes where it is supposed to. The only issue that I find using the iPad Air2 is the initial thickness fit issue in which I corrected with a paper napkin. In summary, you can use the iPad Air2 if you shim the unit to fit the stand.

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

Unfortunately that is not my experience.  When I accidentally bought an iPad Air 2 I could make it fit just fine with a thin cardboard behind it but the Square Register App on the iPad Air 2 would never see the Square Stand.  Without it seeing the square stand it's pointless.  

I know 2 other businesses that also accidentally bought an iPad Air 2 to replace a broken iPad Air and they couldn't get it to work either.

Message 8 of 11

I never had one seconds problem. The stand connected right up and all other hardware components are connected and functioning. I watched a YouTube video and that person connected without issue as well. It works for us, should work for you as well. I have no answer for you. My iPad air2 works awesome with the square stand.

Message 9 of 11

Right? I just got a mini2 and I think I'll have to get an aftermarket stand for it, which is no fun because I would love to have the whole 'register' setup. 

Message 10 of 11

If you find a good after-market, please post.  We need to purchase a couple for the ipad mini.  I'm bummed that Square decided to limit themselves and not offer stands to more models.

Message 11 of 11