x
Beta Member

What's the best cash drawer for my business?

Hey guys, I am so small military store using cell for transactions, what is best economical way for me to do a cash drawer or see business using tablets, Pros VS Cons? Be specific is it waste of money where can I buy a used drawer and stand? 

Anyone use square retail inventory management is it worth it? Can you scan item tag bar code enter into the app how does that work?

Thanks Chip

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

You are asking a lot here.

First you must use a iPad or tablet if you want to use a scanner.   Make sure you get the right one there is only one Bluetooth scanner that works.  I have used them with no issues as long as you follow the setup instructions.  Here is the hardware page for the iPad https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5084-supported-hardware-for-ipads  When you enter your inventory you provide the upc number.  You can do this by uploading the data via csv spreadsheet or directly.  If you enter it via the app you can scan in the upc numbers.

Yes inventory management works fine I use it for our fireworks stands.  Is it worth it.  It's free so yea.  

For my fireworks stands we just have a cash drawer,  It's not hooked up to square and we don't use a printer for reciepts.  Most don't care and if they want one we text or email it to them.  I use a wireless star printer and drawer for my car wash.  Works great and you can control your cash.  Know that you have to have a printer to control the cash drawer.  The signal is sent through the printer.  If you don't have a printer you will have to open you drawer manually.

I don't use the square stand, Needed something more portable.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 7

Want to have Cash Drawer on bar back, register/ipad/squarestand on front bar. Can they be separated wirelessly or must they be tethered by usb or ethernet? I have ethernet on my bar back. Bar front only has power, no ethernet, wifi yes. I don't necessarily need or want a printer but I can install one if needed. I just don't want to print a receipt for every transaction that opens the drawer. I'm looking to buy the right configuration that will work the first time. Thanks, appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 7
Admin

@laccsgb I've moved your post here so you can see how @RHatch has set up his business using a wireless cash drawer from Star Micronics. I'm not totally sure what drawer he has, can you let us know @RHatch? This Support Center article also has a list of supported cash drawers to use with an iPad.

In the meantime, if you need the cash drawer to open automatically you'd need to use an ethernet receipt printer. Otherwise you can manually open the drawer whenever you need. Also you can chose to print a receipt for a customer, but your customers can receive receipts by email or SMS instead. 

I hope this is a good starting point but if you have an additional questions let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks. That is exactly what I ended up doing, I got the ethernet printer.

Message 5 of 7

How do I set up cash drawer on my iPad for a out of the building sale

Message 6 of 7
Admin

I moved your post to this thread @Mailbug, check out RHatch's post about how he has set up a cash drawer outdoors!

The following Support Center articles should also help you:

If you have any questions let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 7