x
Beta Member

e-Gift Card CC Charge Dispute

Hello,

Three times over the past few weeks we've had credit card disputes for e-gift card purchases made online. We did not handle the transaction and had no contract with the customer. By the time of the dispute, all e-gift cards had been used.

We've disputed these each of these disputes but have yet to hear of their outcomes. It seems crazy, though, that we could be held accountable for them and not Square itself. Does anyone out there have any experience dealing with this sort of thing? How did it turn out?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

I was just notified that the issuing bank has "decided to resolve the case in the cardholder's favor." Which, of course they have.

I don't understand how I can be financially held responsible for a transaction I had nothing to do with. Shouldn't Square stand behind their security measures and eat the costs whenever they fail?

Message 2 of 5
Alumni

@pvoc3000  - sorry you're going through that. Chargebacks are never fun to deal with because the process is lengthy and there's a chance it won't resolve in your favor. To be clear, Square doesn't decide the outcome on a chargeback, Ultimately it's up to the card issuer bank to make the final decision but we try to fight for you on behalf of your biz. The unfortunately reality is sometimes the resolution doesn't pan out as we hope. 

In the future in case you run into another charge-back, learn ways to protect yourself linked at the top of this thread.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 5

why delete my post???

Message 4 of 5

We have this happen to us as well. Customer places order for food online, order is picked up, and then later we get a charge back from a customer who claims they had no knowledge of the transaction. The food is long gone by that point. It seems like there is nothing business owners can do to protect themselves from these transactions. Am I missing something? We don't enter any of the payment info ourselves so is there something else were are supposed to be doing? 

Message 5 of 5