x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

Customer wrote a bad check.  Came back paid with credit card.  How do I delete the first transaction paid by check so it doesn't post twice in my reports?

Message 127 of 352
Alumni

Hey there - sorry to hear about this but glad you sorted it out with your customer. 👍

For situations like this, you will want to refund the original transaction and keep the new transaction. From the Point of Sale app, tap the three horizontal lines:

• Tap Activity.
  • Select the payment you’d like to refund (make sure it is the one tendered by check).
  • Tap Issue Refund.
  • Enter the amount of the refund (in this case, the total).
  • Tap Refund.

Message 128 of 352

Is there a way to cancel or reverse a transaction in which all items were entered as comp (given away)? Trying to do this because we entered two transactions for the same complimentary items, which affects our inventory records in Square. I would like to reverse or cancel one of the transactions. But because there was no payment involved, "issue a refund" is not an option when I open the transaction.

Message 129 of 352
Square Community Moderator

@AAMC I've merged your post to an existing thread to help answer your question. You won't be able to cancel or reverse your transaction, but you can manually adjust your inventory to match this second transaction. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 130 of 352

Hey all, so long story short . I somehow created a transaction for about 900k from my pocket . It shows my gross sales to include this 900k rediculous transaction. Is there a way to delete this? None of my customers were charged . In fact it does show any type of payment . I've tried going into my dashboard but it seems I can't do anything from there.

Message 131 of 352
Square Community Moderator

HI @Hammerheating86 I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help answer your question. You cannot delete a transaction at this time, unfortunately. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 132 of 352

I read this thread with amusement. I can understand why this is a popular request, I too would love the ability to delete selected transactions, especially cash transactions, so that they won't show up on my sales report and deposits!!! Until Square wants to take on the US Govt and IRS for supplying owners a way to skim cash sales by "deleting" selected transactions, I don't think any amount of aggravated replies will make Square change it's answer.

Message 133 of 352

This isn't about skimming cash sales with my own request, it was about removing several test entries I've input while learning the app soon after getting Square (and before using it on an actual customer)...lol.

Message 134 of 352
Admin

We hear you @SmartyPantsJane, @tpmd, and @Dcyphert! I'll share your requests with our Product Team.

Even if we can't promise a feature will be available soon, knowing how it would help your business is extremely useful.

If there are any changes in future we'll update this thread! Thanks for your posts 👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 135 of 352

Thank you, Helen! Appreciate the feedback.

Message 136 of 352

Thanks for the update Helen.  One of the consistent complaints -- and rightly so -- is that these dummy transactions are being put in because new account holders are following the instructions Square has for how to set up your account.  After putting in the transaction, then you find out that you're actually live, it's not just a practice run.  So might I suggest that the simplest and quickest way to address 75-90% of the complaints is to simply change the instructions on how to set up your account, and to WARN people that if they put in what they think is going to be just a test entry, that it's not a practice entry.  It's a very real entry that you'll never get off your books.  Given that warning, I think you'll see a lot of these complaints stop.  There will of course always be the people who need to void a transaction, which for tax purposes, is NOT the same thing as a refund.  A void transaction never occurred because you never actually got the money, and a refund is reported separately as a refund on your schedule C or corporate return.

Message 137 of 352

I would also like to add (to the comment above by @MTSU) one more thing that would help eliminate many of the complaints. If you issue a refund (aka a return), if Square would reflect this change in the inventory, it would be hugely helpful. Not only did I blindly create a sale while going through the set up process, I also accidentally rang up an item that should not have been included in a sale (with a real customer). I promptly issued a refund, but my inventory showed that product as being sold, not returned. I've had to make a mental note of those things ever since, so my inventory count isn't screwed up. 

To @tpmd - perhaps there are some folks who are interested in cheating the system, but I for one, had never even thought of that, and I'm guessing that most of us are honest people who simply want their inventory numbers to reflect what was actually sold, not anything so heinous as you suggest. 

Message 138 of 352

The original question 8 pages ago was "How do I delete a cash transaction?"  Perhaps those that have a more honest inventory question need to be more specific?

Message 139 of 352

You do raise a point, but that first person did say that they ran it as a test, and I still maintain that if one isn't thinking about cheating, then one doesn't necessarily think of wording one's question in a way that indicates that cheating is not one's intention. 

Message 140 of 352

Exactly, MTSU! We're just doing as we're told, and we're being led astray!

Regardless of other complexities, it should be easy to fix the intro instructions and add a warning! Good call 🙂

Message 141 of 352
Alumni

Hey @RussEdworthyArt - thanks for chiming in! 

I'll be sure to let our Product Team know that you're looking for a training mode on Point of Sale. 

Message 142 of 352
Beta Member

Thanks, Helen! We'll cross our fingers and hope that this issue is addressed to our satisfaction during this tax year.

(The prospect of someone trying to "cheat the system" shouldn't even be a consideration. Cheaters will always find ways to cheat. Period. Bookkeeping and sales records have been done with pencil and paper, in real, actual books, and then in computerized speadsheets for ages. Has Microsoft ever been held accountable because a cheater deleted a transaction in their Excel files? Probably not. Why should Square be responsible for the accountability of cheaters, yet prohibit honest business people from making appropriate changes (especially when they were based on a test run or during a training)?

Again, I look forward to a satisfactory resolution!

Message 143 of 352

@Helen Wow, do you even read the posts you reply to? tpmd is not part of this request and has added nothing to the post. tpmd did little more than troll the original post for not knowing the correct accounting term to use to get the desired result they are looking for.

Message 144 of 352

I have read every post here, I'm still in disbelief that you cannot delete a transaction. Please remedy this Square.

Message 145 of 352

How can I erase transactions without refunding - can we erase history?

Message 146 of 352
Alumni

Hey there @Pkeegs & @aram

Thanks for posting to the community. 

I moved your posts to this thread. As you can see - a lot of sellers want to ability to delete transaction history

Before my time at Square, I spent many years managing retail stores and have tried many point of sale software programs. I know first hand how complicated trying to fix a transaction error or accidental transaction can be and have wished for this feature myself, however, I have never seen the option to delete transaction history on any program.

Still, I will be sure let our Product Team know that both of you are looking for this feature for your businesses. 👍 

Message 147 of 352