x
Beta Member

Gift Basket Best Practices

Hi there,

We would like to sell Gift Baskets containing various Items (not food) from our shop.  From surfing the forums, I understand there is currently no way in Square to group individual items into a bundle that, when sold, decreases the inventory numbers for each individual item.

>> Square, please do this.  People have been asking for years! <<

Anyways, are there any best practices for working with "Gift Baskets"?  Specifically, I'm thinking about tax time.

For example, is there a downside to these steps?

1. When creating a Gift Basket, "sell to myself" all the individual items through Square Checkout and apply a 100% off "Gift Basket Discount".  This would decrease the inventory #, but no sales tax would be paid.
  2. Create a separate Item called Gift Basket and give it a price.
  3. When a Gift Basket actually "sells to a customer", use the Gift Basket Item from step #2.  Sales Tax would be paid at this time and the inventory for the gift basket would be decrease..

Come tax time (both Sales Tax and Yearly Taxes), would this cause a problem?  For Yearly Taxes, I know I have to report discounted sales and I don't want a 100% discount to raise red flags.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Flopbot -

Thank you for reaching out with this feedback on how you would use a feature around gift baskets and how you would use them in your business. 

I would be happy to tag this as a Feature Request for our Product Team. Keep an eye out for upcoming Product Updates for new feature arrivals. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2