x
Super Seller

Recommendation for Risk Manager

Greetings,

Based upon a recent problem and very unsatisfactory resolution process, I would like to recommend that your Risk Manager add a new warning.  Specifically...

Selling e-gift cards using the links that Square provides to the online e-gift card sales portal is very risky.  This is due to the following reasons:

1) The sale of the e-gift is entirely handled by Square.  We (The merchants) have no opportunity to verify the customer’s identity, etc.

2) When customers dispute the transaction where the e-gift card was purchased, Square disavows any responsibility for the transaction.  Instead, after going through the dispute process, if the customer’s dispute stands then we (the merchants) are penalized.  Square’s dispute team then goes on to tell us (the merchants) what we should do to verify our customers, etc.  Of course, since we (the merchants) are not involved in the sale of the e-gift card at all, it is impossible for us to verify our customers, etc.  Square is instead telling us to do the very things that they are not doing, it seems.

3) If the e-gift card has not yet been redeemed, none of this is an issue.  However, as is often the case in e-gift card scams, if the card has been redeemed then we (the merchants) are out the amount of the fraudulent e-gift card, while Square (who transacted the e-gift card sale without our input) is completely off the hook.

This merchant is working on a procedure to have people call us so that we can process e-gift card requests over the phone instead of using Square’s convenient (but dangerous) online e-gift card sales portal.  I think that your Risk Manager should prominently alert people using Square’s e-gift card sales portal of the great risk in using it, because I have learned that using it is indeed a great risk.  Since the entire purpose of Risk Manager is to alert us to risks to our business, this seems highly appropriate.

Regards,

Chip

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @TheRealChipA

Thank you so much for your honest feedback about your experience with our Risk Manager. This helps us evolve our products and procedures to what would benefit seller needs. 

I would be happy to send this over to the appropriate team, as a Feature Request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2