x

Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

With new fall 2018 new feature we can now issue an invoice into parts.   A customer can put a deposit down and partially pay for a total.   

What I found:    On our Janurary End of Month my account said we have unaccounted for extra money in our bank account.   The Reason:   There is no reporting on the sales report of this money whatsoever for deposits paid to partially pay an invoice.   

To elaborate:   If i issue a $1000 invoice with two payments,  $500 due now and $500 due in 6 months   when the client pays the $500 the invoice now shows in invoicing as "partially paid" .   The $500 is then deposit on our next deposit into our bank.   There is NO RECORD under the sales reporting of this $500.   The only record is the deposit report which gives a daily grand total, does not break out what invoices are in that deposit or transaction #'s    What if i had (10) $500 deposits paid that day?   I'd have no way to break out which was paid.   The only to know the source of that $500 in my bank account is to actually look in invoices, find the "partially paid" invoice by clicking each one to find the correct one.   What we do get is the deposit paid email which is what we are currently using to record that $500 to our accounting.    

What would be helpful:    Adding a line to the sales report stating deposit paid so on a monthly/daily sales report i know how much total amounts of deposits are paid so we can reconcile properly to match the deposits going in.

**I searched for a bit to find a thread matching this and was unsuccessful.   If someone already has a discussion going please tag it.

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Transaction reports

@amccurdy - I can definitely see how partial payments with Square Invoices can throw you off and make for a frustrating experience when balancing your books.

While partial payments toward an invoice are posted to your deposit reports, they will not appear in your sales summary until it's fully paid unfortunately. 

You're not the only Seller that has noticed this pain-point and we're working make improvements to Invoices as it relates to Reporting. 

We'll keep you posted here with any updates. Thanks for your patience! 

Verified Answer

Re: Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

@Woodroe99 Thank you for posting this feature request. (There isn't an existing post about this as partial deposits with Square Invoices is sill relatively new.)

The Invoices team is already working to improve the reporting for parital deposits and I'll surface your experience them to them as well - thank you very much for the detail. I can't share a timeline here in the Community but we'll udpate this thread to keep you informed of any developments. 

In the meantime, you can view your paid partial deposits from the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard. Click All Invoices and select Outstanding > you'll see the status for partial deposits as 'Partially Paid'. 

17 Comments
Alumni

@amccurdy - I can definitely see how partial payments with Square Invoices can throw you off and make for a frustrating experience when balancing your books.

While partial payments toward an invoice are posted to your deposit reports, they will not appear in your sales summary until it's fully paid unfortunately. 

You're not the only Seller that has noticed this pain-point and we're working make improvements to Invoices as it relates to Reporting. 

We'll keep you posted here with any updates. Thanks for your patience! 

Beta Member

Resurfacing this feature request again because it's been causing headaches since the roll out of partial payments.  Sometimes it's really difficult to match which partial payments are included in any given transfer to our bank account and it's just extra calculus that shouldn't be necessary. This "feature" of including every single transaction on a transfer report can't come soon enough!  Thank you.

Admin

@AlbertinePress I'm so sorry for the headaches this has been causing. 😣 The good news is that this feature request has picked up a lot of momentum lately. I checked with the team and it does look like this feature is still being developed. So my bad news is that I don't have an exact ETA of when this will become available.

Hang in there with us if you can. Appreciate you bringing this to light again!

Hello, Most of our invoices requiring a deposit, our invoices are usually made of 2 partial payments. It still seems impossible to reconcile the cash transfers from the Transfer report, with partial payments on invoices. It does not add up, esp when a single transfer includes several partial payments on different invoices. The transfer report shows the total of the invoice, for each payment, but not the details of the partial payments.  The columns and the lines do not add up. I have already raised this concern a few months ago when the Deposit feature was introduced, but it seems it has gotten worse since then. Can you please help and advise? Thank you!!

Alumni

Hey there @delf ! I found a thread that explains how partial payments with invoices are reported. I hope this brings clarity. Thanks for your patience as we work to improve Invoice reporting. 

I sent out a large invoice and it was partially paid. It says that it is collected but it is not showing up in my sales

40AF459A-069C-4935-B408-5C32FBDA27FB.png

Alumni

Partial payments from Invoices will not show in Sales Reports until the invoice is fully paid. However, since we deposit the partial payment to your bank account, you'll see it reflected Transfer Reports. 

@DrDetailz