x

Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

My company has several monthly repeating invoices that are paid automatically with a customer's card on file. However, when that card needs to be changed (due to expiration, new card, etc.) there's no way for the customer to do this themselves. 

Right now I either have the customer call me with the updated card (which neither of us want to do) or I remove their card and have them update it with the next month's invoice. 

I'd like to request that Square implement a secure link where customers can change their card on file themselves.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

Hey @marriedinmke!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I agree. This would be a great feature to have, and probably more comfortable for both sellers and customers. My workaround suggestion in the meantime is what you're already doing. Have the customer remove their card on file by following the link provided to them on all card on file notifications, and then adding new card info. 

Thanks so much for posting on the Feature Requests: Invoices board  We'll definitely post in this thread if we hear any updates on the development of this feature. 

Verified Answer

Re: Updating a credit card on a recurring invoice.

Hello @sebastya! You'll need to call your customer or ask them to visit you in person in order to update their card on file. I absolutely see how sending a secure link to the client would save time.  

In the meantime, when your customer contacts you, you can edit the invoice (and their card information) following these steps:

1. Sign in to the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard > click Recurring.
  2. Select the invoice in question > click on the customer's name.
  3. Scroll down to Card on File and click the X beside their current card to remove it > then click Add Card to add their new card information. 

Alternatively, you could cancel this recurring series and then start a new series to allow this client to save a new card on file. 

Verified Answer

Re: What happens when a Card on File expires?

I'm very sorry that this question hasn't been answered yet! 

When a customer's card expires they are not sent a notification email. If a card has expired you'll be able to see that from the Customer Directory: 

1. Navigate to the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on a customers name.
  3. Scroll down to Cards on File > you'll see the four-digit expiry date (e.g. 01/22) immediately below last four digits of the card number.
  4. If the card has expired, you'll see Expired instead of the date.

You'll need to contact your customer then to update their card information. I can see how an email notification would save you an extra step, I'll share your request with the team!

20 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Hey @stevendlyons! Welcome to the Community.

I did some digging on my side and it looks like the update changed it up to where clicking on their name from Invoices doesn't show the Card on File information there anymore.

You'll need to go to your > Customers tab and search their name in the Directory. From there- you can click the X next to their card currently on file and you can add their new card information there. 

I have the same question.  My understanding after reading through this thread is that there is no way for the customer to update his/her own credit card info (like changing an expiration date or changing to a whole new card) through their own dashboard.  Instead they have to give me the new cc info and I have to update it on my end.  Is that correct?  

Sort of bummed if that is in fact the case as I was hoping to give my customers a set of instructions for how to do it themselves.  It's a pain to have to call them for new cc info every time a card expires or is compromised by fraud!

Alumni

Don't fret, @niallgeo!

I recommend following the advice @Helen provided at the end of her post above. What you'll want to do is duplicate the invoice series, then cancel the current recurring series with the old card on file attached. Starting a new invoice series will allow your client to save a new card on file, and duplicating the invoice series will ensure that you don't have to create an entirely new invoice series.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this 👍

To update a customers card on file, I need to be able to see the old credit card number so that I can re-enter it with the new expiration date and CVR.

How can I see what her credit card number on file is?

Thank you

Robert

Admin

Hello and welcome @NobleTherapy!

You won't be able to see your customer's full credit card number, so you'll want to get in touch with your customer to get the full number and update their information. You can follow @ashc's steps on this thread where I've merged your question to. She walks through where you'll go to update the info.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Admin

Hey @marriedinmke!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I agree. This would be a great feature to have, and probably more comfortable for both sellers and customers. My workaround suggestion in the meantime is what you're already doing. Have the customer remove their card on file by following the link provided to them on all card on file notifications, and then adding new card info. 

Thanks so much for posting on the Feature Requests: Invoices board  We'll definitely post in this thread if we hear any updates on the development of this feature. 

so even if a customer gives me the new expiration, I cannot update it inside of Square?

Square Community Moderator

Hey @martinlawn and welcome to the Community.

Have you tried updating it under their Customer Directory profile?

There are a few ways to save a customer’s payment card:

From your online Square Dashboard:

1. Visit the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.

2. Create or select an existing customer profile.

3. Click the three-dotted actions menu on the bottom-right > Add Card.

4. Enter the card details, select a location where this card can be charged, and print and file a Customer Authorization form. Note: the Authorization Form does not have a field for CVV for security purposes. The CVV is securely stored within your customer’s profile and not visible once saved.

5. Click Confirm.

My client tried to update their card on file and it didn't save. I'm trying to figure out if the client is able to make the update themselves and has simply made an error, or if it didn't work because I have to do it manually. I can't find instructions for a client to update/save a new card.

Alumni

Thanks for posting @JM777

You'll have to manually update the card on file on your end.