x

How to fix - IP Canonicalization

This is what one of the SEO tests say about my site,

Your site's IP 199.34.228.71 does not redirect to your site's domain name. This could cause duplicate content problems if a search engine indexes your site under both its IP and domain name.

I work on my SEO everyday, and wanted to find out how to fix this, or check it to make sure it re-directs right.

This is what the fix is they say,

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi KO, 

Because you're on a shared IP address, you can't make the IP redirect to your website. This is really not a problem though because no one will be trying to access your website by entering the IP address in their browser. There's no reason that even a search engine would try to access  your site that way. In the case of a shared IP, if the search engine did look at the IP instead of your domain, they would not see duplicate content because that's just not how your domain is set up.

Barbara_b
Square Online Beta Manager
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 5

Hi, well I have same problem... Your site's IP 199.34.228.xxx does not redirect to your site's domain name. This could cause duplicate content problems if a search engine indexes your site under both its IP and domain name.
Can it be sorted?
Message 3 of 5

Hi @mario,

Please see @Barbara's response above - this is not an issue that should affect your site performance, but also is something that cannot be modified.

Message 3 of 5

Hi Barbara, With regards to this topic. I have the same problem for shared hosting. Other areas can visit the website and others can't. How can we get a dedicated IP Address? 

Thanks,

Mac Cardines

Message 5 of 5