x

Changing email address in recurring invoice

One of my clients wants me to change the email I send the recurring invoices to. How do I do this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Thanks for your post @katscleaning!

Currently, it's not possible edit your client's email address once an invoice series has been created.

I definitely see how this would be useful to you and your clients! I'll share this request with our Product Team who are constantly working to improve Square's features. 

Instead, you can cancel the series of recurring invoices you set up, and start a new series using your client's preferred email address.

To cancel a recurring invoice:

1. Navigate to the Invoices tab of your online Dashboard
  2. Click on the on the invoice in question.
  3. Click View Series (upper right of your screen) > then End Series > Confirm.

When you've canceled the series click Create Recurring Series to start a new one.

If you have any more questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 3

Thank you for pursuing this change because this really is a massive pain in the neck. I just lost two months of revenue from a customer because I updated their email address in the customer record but this does not propagate to the recurring invoice, and for whatever reason your system decides it should not apply a recurring charge if the emails don't match.

This means I either have to eat two months of revenue loss for the customer or else explain to them why they owe me for two months when it is all supposed to be automated.

Why? Why? Why?

1. I can see no reason why the recurring charge should fail because the email address on the recurring charge does not match the email address in the customer record. Lots of people have two email addresses and might want one for invoicing but another for general customer inquiries.

2. If Square is going to decide the two have to match, then the two records should be tied together in your database. Edit one and it should edit the other, or at least prompt with a warning that making the change will break the recurring charge, and give an option to propagate the change.

3. Failing all of that, it certainly should be an editable field in the recurring series, as well as being able to go back to missed invoices, edit those, and resubmit the charge.

4. Finally, it should not be necssary to create an entirely new recurring series just because of an email address change, and then have to cancel the existing one. Aside from being a pointless exercise, this whole process results in emails going to the customer which will be baffling to them and require apologies.

Again, why???

I'm very much appreciative that Square got around to implementing recurring charges, a vital feature, but it has been around long enough now that this oversight should have been corrected some time ago. Please fix it.

Message 3 of 3