x

Receive Bulk to Sell Individually

I'm new to Square for Retail and migrating from QB POS. For most of our inventory, we purchase items in bulk and sell individually. The pricing may vary from unit to unit. I'm thinking that I can receive the bulk inventory as an item and then create variations for each of the individual units and update the price as needed. Would this be the best workflow or are there alternative options? Can this be done through spreadsheets and import/export more easily?

I.e.

Receive qty 20 of SKU 123

Sell as unit 123-1, 123-2, 123-3 ... 123-20

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

This is exactly how we buy a good amount of our items. We receive and sell them by the piece even though we purchase them by weight. We just figure out the individual price for that item.

If the individual items you are selling are different prices, then you would create a variation for each.

So, for example we sell Rose Quartz Chunks that we purchased $30per kg

Individually the listing would look something like this.

Unit 1: Rose Quartz .12kg/3" 

Unit 2: Rose Quartz .25kg/4"

Each one of these would get a price.

Sometimes I do a price for a range of weight and that would look like this:

Unit1: Rose Quartz .15-.19kg/2-3"

Hope this helps.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 2 of 4

Thanks! That is similar to what I am wanting to accomplish. Do you break it all out at once or just receive in the bulk and then break it out later as needed as varients?

Something like receiving 5 kg Rose Quartz, then later breaking it into Unit 1 .12kg, Unit 2 .25kg ...etc

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@jvanrees ;

Square has an option for Selling by units.  So you have one stock item that is sold in different quantities.

So you could have item 123 and variations of 1, 2 ,3 for quantities with their own unique price if you give price discounts.

So I buy my tapers by the case (144 per case) but in each case I get 12 boxes of 12, and I also sell the tapers individually.

But this all pulls stock from the Master item.  The only issue I have run into is that if I buy 3 cases of this candle I need to enter the Quantity as 144x3 or 432 candles.  Square then calculates my inventory as:

3 - cases of 144

36 - boxes of 12

432 - single candles.

Now I did have an issue where Square rounds these quantities up so if I actually have say 75 candles which is 52% of a full case Square rounds up showing I could sell an extra case then what I actually have.  

Now with the sell buy units, this is the only way with Square that I know of to have 1 item and sold in different quantities to pull from that 1 items stock. You can also assign if this is by item as my example or by a unit of measure, (feet or pounds etc).

Here is more on the Sell by Units. :https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7237-stock-conversion-sell-by 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4