x

Can I connect two iPad stands to one USB printer?

I have a Square Stand USB connected to a Star tsp100 printer to print my receipts. I would like to add another Square Stand to my front counter and was hoping to share the printer between the two of them rather than buy another printer. Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

To get going, Star Micronic's USB printers don't currently support the ability to connect to multiple devices, but it would be certainly be nice if they did!

When a seller needs to share one printer between multiple POS stations, we normally tend to recommend one of their ethernet or lan printers. As opposed to plugging directly into a stand or android tablet, they connect to the wireless router so they're accessible to any device on that network. Head to our compatibility page to check out compatible receipt printers and kitchen printers with ethernet connection. 

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated links to compatibility pages.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

Best Answer

To get going, Star Micronic's USB printers don't currently support the ability to connect to multiple devices, but it would be certainly be nice if they did!

When a seller needs to share one printer between multiple POS stations, we normally tend to recommend one of their ethernet or lan printers. As opposed to plugging directly into a stand or android tablet, they connect to the wireless router so they're accessible to any device on that network. Head to our compatibility page to check out compatible receipt printers and kitchen printers with ethernet connection. 

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated links to compatibility pages.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 9

We are an outdoor food vendor looking to use two square stands, two drawers, and preferably one printer.

Can one printer be used for two square stands that will only pop open the drawer that sends the signal?

We're also wanting to take advantage of the order ticket feature on the square app using a number system opposed to the name system. If we used two stands to take orders, will the printer auto-assign the numbers amongst both stands (sync together)? Or will each stand auto-assign it's own number sequence?

Other than what Square sells, what is another affordable printer and drawer?

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @hlzma

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on the same topic. 

The answer to your question really depends on the setup that you'll have when you're outdoors. 

Will you have wifi or an ethernet connection nearby? If so, you'll want to use a LAN

printer so that you can connect both of your Square Stands to your printer via wireless network. The USB printers can't support more than one Square Stand. 

In regards to order numbers, so long as both iPads are signed in to the same account, the orders should sync together. 

Message 4 of 9

We will be connected through a wifi hotspot.

Message 5 of 9
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How can I print ticket orders to another printer?

I have two square stands with each having its own receipt printer (one in the bar area and the other one in the dining room area).  How can I link both printers, so I can send specific orders to one of the printers at the bar area.  I looked into the printer section on setting but on each stand, the other printer does not appear. 

Message 6 of 9
Admin

@manriquezfern I've added your post to this thread so you can read@Sean's Best Answer which has more information about the type of printer you need to be able to print orders from two Stands. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 9

Hi All.  We are running a new restaurant and use 3 Square Stand Point of Sale units, each with their own Star Micronics-brand printer.  We want to be able to enter an order at the bar or server Square Stand POS and have the food orders print out on the Kitchen Square Stand POS.  They are all running Square Restaurant POS app.

Please let me know first if this is possible?  The Star printers themselves are either USB or Bluetooth printers.  I see instructions on how to utilize multiple printers:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5194-print-order-tickets#multiple_printers

but there is not much else to clarify if printing out reciept tickets/stubs at other POS stands is possible.  All POS's are on same WiFi network, Logged into same user/login, and running updated app hardware.  

Thanks for all your help!

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Hello @Landmark! At this time USB printers can't be connected to multiple Square Stands. However, if you used an ethernet or LAN printer you could connect a Square Stand to any printer on the network using printer stations.

I've merged your post to this thread — take a look at Sean's Best Answer and the replies in this thread for more information. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 9