x

Barcode scanner adding an "m" to every SKU

Hello, I recently bought the USB barcode scanner that Square offers, but got it through Amazon instead.  I just printed out all my SKU's and when I scan them with the barcode scanner, a lower case "m" keeps getting added to the sku and then I'm told the item can't be found.  The rest of the SKU is fine, but for the "m" that keeps getting added.  Anyone have any idea what is going on or has this happened to you?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You should have book or sheet that came with your scanner, in it there will be a series  of barcodes inside it. First thing I would do is scan the reset to default barcode to see if that fixes it. 

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

You should have book or sheet that came with your scanner, in it there will be a series  of barcodes inside it. First thing I would do is scan the reset to default barcode to see if that fixes it. 

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Message 2 of 7

Thank you!  That got me started down the right path.  I never would have thought to do that.  It took a little trial and error as there were several different troubleshooting tips in that booklet.  But I figured it out.  I had to scan a series of three different barcodes, but that solved my problem.  Thank you again for suggesting the booklet.  That held the answers. 

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing this troubleshooting tip @rtfulk - please let us know how you go @theflowerchef

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

@Arie Thank you, there are so many options on todays scanners it can be hard to figure how to set it up.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

@theflowerchef ;

On your Cell phone download an App Called Barcode Reader and Generator.

Then with this app take a picture of your Barcode.  See if it is showing the 'm' also.

I found out when I was first starting to print my labels with a Barcode, if I hit <enter> or <Tab> keys after typing my SKU in a weird stray character would appear.  It would not show on the barcode digits but would with my Scanner or the App i am telling you about.

This will verify if it is that Scanner reading something that is not there or if the Barcode is actually having the 'm' in it.

I think I hit <space> and it made 2 characters at the ends of my barcodes.

Your SKU or GTIN is to only the letters / numbers in the barcode any other characters will add strange things to the end or beginning of your barcode.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 7

Thank you.  I got it figured out.

Message 7 of 7